Clark gainster compact oscillating

Mitch1290
Hi guys - 1st time post

So I've built loads of stuff but never had this problem until now!

Up until 1 o clock on the gain it is a perfect and beautiful sounding o.d, however, as soon as I turn the gain beyond this point it emits a very overpowering low-fi synth type oscillation

Bad chip or any other ideas?

Cheers Mitch

Re: Clark gainster compact oscillating

Beaker
Hi Mitch and welcome.

Power supply or battery powered?

Before you start replacing chips or anything, check that your power supply is not the issue. If you don't have an on-board battery, just hook one up temporarily and see if the oscillation goes away.

The other cause might be your wiring. Move some of the wires around - especially the power wires while it is plugged in and see if things get better or worse.

Then let us know what happens.

Re: Clark gainster compact oscillating

Mitch1290
Cheers beaker

I have a general dislike for batteries so I always go power supply only

I'll twiddle some wiring. And report back.

So bizarre that it's on the last third of the sweep!

Re: Clark gainster compact oscillating

Beaker
Don't rule out the power supply, there's always the odd pedal that just does not want to play nicely with your power adapter. That's why I suggested tryng it with a battery - if it works fine with a battery, you at least know it's the power supply at causing the issue.

It's oscillating on the last third as that's where the gain reaches a level high enough to start it off.

Wiggling the wiring will determine if you are getting cross-talk between your power wires and signal wires.