Clinch EP-PRE

zosotone

I found this schematic on the net. It's another Echoplex Preamp.

Not verified.

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

Silver Blues
Hope you don't mind, I took a shot at making your layout a little smaller.

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

Ross
I always thought the "magic" (I haven't built one) of the Echoplex preamp was in the oddball output section, which this schematic doesn't have.
Here's a schematic of one that does include the weird output section. Apparently it does some form of phase-bending or something.

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

zosotone
Of course Silver Blues, thank you for your work
I'm not sure if the volume pot works well at the input or output of the circuit...

In this post, the schematic it's verified http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29331

Very interesting Ross, can you add a high resolution picture?

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

johnk
<quote author="Ross">
I always thought the "magic" (I haven't built one) of the Echoplex preamp was in the oddball output section, which this schematic doesn't have.

yep. I've also read that is true.
I drew up a vero with the 'corrected' output but it didn't work properly, so I modified it to sound more like it's supposed to.
it also includes a charge pump since these are supposed to run on a minimum of 18 volts:

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

zosotone
 johnk

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

johnk
don't get too excited yet.
I built it and it sounds great but the output control can't be correct on that schematic for the pedal version, since when you turn it fully clockwise it cuts the signal out completely.

it also works better with a 100k instead of the last 220K.

i'm going to do a little more research and try to find out how the clinch's output is actaullywired.

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

johnk
i couldn't find out the way that the actual Clinch EP3's output control was wired, so i modified the control and layout on mine and updated it above to make it work and sound closer to their videos.

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

fx-fidden
Really old thread, but I want to ask something. I noticed that there's a 1nF cap before the output that I can't see in any Echoplex preamp (or kind of) schematic. What does that cap suppose to do? Just tame the treble a bit?

Thanks!
I build pedals

Re: Clinch EP-PRE

Boba7
This post was updated on .
The schematics above are not the Clinch ep

Aion Electronics has released a Clinch clone, that seems very accurate. It’s called Ares and there are layouts for it here: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Aion-Electronics-Ares-Echoplex-Preamp-vero-and-documentation-td32985.html

As for the schematics, they’re in that thread, taken from Aion website

:)