Cloth wire

Vince
Does anyone know of a good place to source this wire? I'm in the UK so cheaper postage would be good

Cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Style-Cloth-Wire-22-awg-Solid-50-Spool-Red-/310654097873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48546d59d1

Re: Cloth wire

Wow that is a good price, but shipping from the US has got ridiculous recently.  Most of my regular US eBay sellers have more than doubled their previous prices.  dpi4parts is really the only one who hasn't gone up too much.

Re: Cloth wire

Vince
I've noticed that too mate, I'll probably end up buying a reel of that but it's just the postage that sticks in my throat. But then I'd only be using it for specific pedals. I quite fancy making a few mojo deluxe silicon Fuzz faces. I got all the Phillips axials from a Turkish seller, which wasn't too bad a price.

Carbon Comp resistors are a real pain to find though. I thought I was in luck with Rapid until I got to the 330ohm and the min order was a 1000!!... you what?!

I wouldn't mind using a pcb for it either but the only ones I can find are on Poodle pedal parts at £4.20 each, Not bad but with the cost of all other parts, I'd be barely breaking even. So if you know of any good FF pcbs? preferably with a bias option.

Re: Cloth wire

JaviCAP
Poodle's Fuzz Face pcb's are great, but sadly are a bit expensive.

Cheaper one I could find is the Madbean's Hipster, 5 dollars a piece, and the s&h is very reasonable (3 dollar for  2 or 3 pcb's if I'm not wrong).

The hipster is built for NPN fuzz face, but to use PNP germaniums is just as easy as reversing the electrolithics.

BR

P.S I've been taking a look and the s&h is even cheaper:

International Rates

Order Amount    Shipping
$0.01 - 49.99    $3.00 ("Flats")
$50 - 99.99    $8.00 (1st Class)
$ 100 or more    $24 (Priority)
Priority shipping is required for Int'

So you can get 9 pcb's with $3 rate.

Re: Cloth wire

Beaker
Allparts UK sell it in pre-pack lengths (3m I think). It's good stuff, I use it for guitar repairs. Expensive though when you include postage.

Be aware postage is included in customs charge calculations (I may be trying to teach you to suck eggs here). That roll of wire from the US will work out very expensive if UK customs slap charges on it. Recent experience with overseas orders, especially from the US suggests to me that HMRC are clamping right down on personal imports, and are slapping charges on everything they can. The £8 "handling fee" takes the biscuit.

Try contacting one of our UK custom pickup winders, they use this stuff all the time and so might know. http://www.brocott.co.uk may be worth a try as they sell pickup wire and winding machines.

As far as boards are concerned,I think "mojo deluxe" deserves to be done on tagboard. That does work out cheap. Easy to work with due to all the extra space. Big axial caps fit in a treat, and the finished results look great! I used the tagboard layout on this site to do a bunch of silicon Mosrite Fuzzrites, and keep getting requests from friends of friends of friends who want one.

Re: Cloth wire

Vince
Yes, thinking about pcb's, I wouldn't be able to use the axial parts etc. I'll look into some tag board but I'd like to keep a bais control externally and keep the size down to a 1590B so Vero might be the way forward. I suppose if it's good enough for D*A*M pedals....Could just customize the vero, colour it and fill in the remaining holes etc... hmmm

Re: Cloth wire

Beaker
PCBs are great when you use the correct sized part, a complete nightmare if you don't. Trying to fit a huge axial PIO "mojo" cap into a space only big enough for a poly box is tricky to say the least...

If you can get a reliable source of your favourite mojo parts, and you know their size, getting PCBs made in China is absurdly easy, quick and cheap, even for VERY small runs.

I work in a FE college, and the guys in the electrical and automotive department have recently had a bunch of PCBs custom made for them for various projects, by a firm in China. Email them a PCB layout, and they will make them up and have them in post within 48 hours! They look just like the ones Poodle sells, through hole plated and screen printed.

I can get details for you tomorrow if you want.

I'm not sure if this is against forum or site rules, and please forgive me for suggesting it if it is, but maybe other users would be interested in buying spare boards from you. That way the costs of ordering board could be recouped?

Re: Cloth wire

Vince
I can't see that it's breaking any rules.

That would be great but unfortunately I haven't the first clue on how to go about laying out a PCB design but If I ever get one or better still, pay someone to do a layout!. I'll get the details from you.

Cheers for that.

Re: Cloth wire

Geiri
I'm gonna order that because I've always wanted to try out cloth wires. Shipping to Iceland is $15, which honestly isn't too bad. It's the same price as I would pay to ship from Iceland to the US.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Cloth wire

Vince
I've got a little bit Geiri. Make sure you tin it as if you apply too much heat for too long it burns back the cotton and looks ugly.