Compression Meter on Circuit Salad MOSFET Comp.

Compression Meter on Circuit Salad MOSFET Comp.

Silver Blues
I don't know if anyone knows much about this, but I would love to have my logic confirmed (or be told I'm an idiot). I had planned at some point in the future to build myself the Circuit Salad MOSFET Compressor, as it looks like a nice yet simple circuit.

You'll notice that the circuit incorporates a built-in compression indicator in the form of the parts around transistor Q4. What I understand about this circuit block is that a feed is taken from the output of IC1A, rectified to positive half-cycle by D1, which is fed into Q4; Q4 then acts as a DC amplifier to light LED1 according to the amount of compression. LED1 is powered through the 1K CLR.

I thought it would be a cool idea to replace the single LED with a VU meter based off an LM3915 dot/bar display driver and 10 LEDs. Since the application notes say that the 3915 should just be fed from AC, am I correct in assuming that to achieve what I am imagining, I should just eliminate the entire indicator circuit in the original schematic and feed the 3915 straight from the output of IC1A?