Compressor recommends?

Re: Compressor recommends?

motterpaul
I have a 4-knob Keeley that a lot of folks say is the Holy Grail of compressors. It is known for its transparency. I like a cheap Boss that just slams a signal down so no matter what you can't play louder (sometimes). But I also want a compressor to have attack - the more the better, and if it adds some glassy clarity to the tone even better.

But I never got along with the Keeley - it added sustain, but not clarity. I think it is probably cool for real clean blues type players, but I am like Ciaren, I really don't hear it working.

I am kind of liking this liquid sunshine again. Now that I realize you can turn it down so it doesn't clip, but it still compresses (I don't think you should call the control "compression" then, because that implies a scale that begins with "no compression" - you should call it something else, like "saturation").

I am pretty bummed the Diamante doesn't work. I hate trying to make an effect work when you don't see an obvious problem.  Switching out caps, re-flowing solder, etc. Its a drag when you can't see the problem.

Re: Compressor recommends?

Chris60601
I really like the Love Squeeze. Another that works for me is a Modified Ross compressor. Here again, I can't speak for how they sound with Hummers. but with my Strat, it's perfect.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Compressor recommends?

motterpaul wrote
I am pretty bummed the Diamante doesn't work. I hate trying to make an effect work when you don't see an obvious problem.  Switching out caps, re-flowing solder, etc. Its a drag when you can't see the problem.
Yeah, this is exactly the same problem I had with the Engineer's Thumb when I tried to build it. I could see nothing wrong with the build and yet it expressly refused to work, so I binned it.

Re: Compressor recommends?

motterpaul
This is ironically un-effin'-believable. The very same mistake that threw me for a loop with my very first build here ( I don't remember what it was) is what was throwing me here.

It is the way the volume pot lug three has TWO connections - one to the switch and also one to ground. I missed the connection to the switch. I guess I just figured I had all three lugs filled so I was done.

Anyway - this compressor sounds perfect now, even with humbuckers. No hair at all even at full volume; on the effect and on my pickup. That is how I like it. The LDR/LED setup was actually easy.

Of course, if you want to use the effect live you don't leave everything on full on - but it does sound good for recording.

Anyway - finally fixed. Oh well, we all go through it, just one of those things I didn't see at first, or for a long time.

This thing sounds great by the way, but I will have to try the simple to see how it compares.

Edited for clarity (sorry, I am tired).
12