Constant Power vs. Switched Power on Wah Buffer

Constant Power vs. Switched Power on Wah Buffer

etzeppy
I have built a FoxRox output buffer for a wah. I connectorized it for testing purposes, but I want to permanently install it in the wah enclosure. I have already modified the wah with true bypass and an LED. Since the LED uses the 3PDT switch to engage the ground, I could use that same lug to engage the ground on the FoxRox circuit, or I just wire it to a constant ground, the way the manufacturer recommends.

That prompts a few questions:

1.  Is there a reason to keep power to the buffer all of the time? Does switching power off and on with the foot switch introduce issues?

2. If switching power does not introduce issues, why not use that method with other circuits too. Why keep power constantly engaged?

Re: Constant Power vs. Switched Power on Wah Buffer

nocentelli
etzeppy wrote
1.  Is there a reason to keep power to the buffer all of the time? Does switching power off and on with the foot switch introduce issues?

2. If switching power does not introduce issues, why not use that method with other circuits too. Why keep power constantly engaged?
The 3PDT engages the ground in the sense that it makes the ground -> LED -> +9V circuit when the wah effect is engaged; The wah circuit itself is permanently connected to the power/ground loop whilst the circuit is in operation, although the input socket of many effects will use a stereo jack so the ground is lifted when the input jack is removed to preserve battery life.

The audio part of any circuit should be permanently connected (albeit with the jack socket defeat outlined above) to avoid the loud pop/click that would occur if power/ground was switched during operation, and to avoid the slight delay as electrolytic caps charge up.

Re: Constant Power vs. Switched Power on Wah Buffer

etzeppy
That makes sense. Thanks