Copper Sealant?

jsetov
Hey Guys, I was wondering, does anyone on here use any kind of sealant on the copper side of there vero's? I've been wanting to find something to use to that is able to keep the copper from oxidizing. I've given a lot of thought to any kind of acrylic coating, but i decided it would be a better idea to see if anyone on here had any experience with it or anything else. I didn't really find anything when searching through the forum but i think it was mainly because i wasn't exactly sure what to do a search for. So i wouldnt be surprised if there was already a thread on this subject. So if you have anything to help please let me know. Thanks!

Re: Copper Sealant?

I don't really worry about this at all.  I've seen 40+ year old PCBs where the tracks were covered with oxidation but it still worked perfectly well because the connections under that are still true.  But if I wanted the board to look pristine after a couple of decades I'd probably just give it a quick coating of lacquer or if I was feeling extravagant maybe buy some proper conformal coating to spray on it.  You should find some on eBay.

Re: Copper Sealant?

i think mark has the right idea that you would want some sort of quick drying lacquer. i think it's a great idea not really for preserving/protecting the copper tracks, but would create a barrier between the copper and the enclosure, preventing the circuit from grounding out. what about using clear nail polish? could be quick, relatively cheap, and because you brush it on it would be neat, way to do it.

Re: Copper Sealant?

This topic has come up before, many moons ago, and as a result, I did a spray a couple of completed circuits with acrylic laquer, before boxing them up. I have to say that the results were not impressive, and that it is a better idea in theory than in practice.

Before starting a build, I always give the copper side of my vero a good rub over with a board eraser (after cutting to size and making track cuts). It makes sense to have the copper tracks as clean as possible, and really helps get good solder joins.

https://www.kitronik.co.uk/2662-pcb-eraser.html

However by the time I have finished and ready to box up, the copper is always visibly oxidising anyway, so lacquering just seals that in. The lacquer layer is also so thin that it will do very little to prevent a short against jacks, pots, enclosure etc.

I think the best bet is to use clear enamel or formvar -as used on guitar pickup winding wire. Tough and insulating, but I'm not sure how you would apply it.

Zach give clear nail polish a try - won't do any harm, and might be beneficial - I use the stuff all the time for guitar repairs, so chalk up one more use.

I just concluded that there were far more important things to try and improve with my builds to continue doing this!

EDIT: I've just looked into DIY formvar and enamel coatings - Trust me, you don't even want to go there!

Re: Copper Sealant?

Well I have something that I know will work and insulate, but I don't want to be accused of gooping. I've got this stuff called liquid electrical tape that's basically a liquid rubber that dries. The problem is that it's black and would look like the goop some people use to hide there work. You guys know, I don't care if people can see what the layout is, but this would be great to protect the copper and insulate it from grounding out.

Re: Copper Sealant?

Silver Blues
Yeah I've got that stuff too. It works really well, and I'm sure no one will accuse you of gooping as long as the tape is on the solder side

But no, I don't use anything on my boards. I scrub the copper with a green scouring pad before soldering. What I haven't figured out is the best method for immobilizing the boards in the enclosure. I have an industrial-strength glue gun that I don't want to use for that purpose (I'm kind of afraid of damaging the board and I'd probably have to apply a lot to prevent contact), and I have a little bit of insulating paper that although creates a non-conductive area doesn't do anything to affix the board.

Re: Copper Sealant?

jsetov
I don't think this is a huge issue really, but my main reasons for asking were the same as yours rocket. I just wanted to protect from oxidizing and unnecessary grounding. But all in all, i think all that has been talked about on here gives me some good ideas to work with. So thanks! As usual, you guys have all been really helpful!