Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

HamishR

I was in two minds about posting this - it's very much based on IVIark's layouts and I make no claim to have done this myself.  I've changed things here and there but the main reason I am posting is to help in case anyone else wants to build this pedal with the buffer all on one board.  It wouldn't be difficult to adapt this layout to enable the Cornish switching but I kept it as true bypass.

The reason?  It sounds very different with the buffer - possibly more in line with what Cornish intended.  I wouldn't say better necessarily - but it's definitely brighter and louder and possibly more conventional-sounding.  Without the buffer it sounds sort-of congested and dark.

I managed to fit it into a 1590B easily with power and jacks along the top edge of the box.  I dremel some of the case in the corners to fit the jacks in.

I have built it and it works.  It's an awful lot of circuit for such an ordinary sounding OD but I do like it.  I used TL071s and it sounds cool.

I hope posting this is ok!

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Blackboarcult
Hey, I built the same last week! - except mine ended up 4 rows taller... I just stuck the buffer layout below the SS layout. Can't verify yours without butchering 90% of my vero, plus you already did it, but kudos for this one! :-)

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Frank_NH
You are right on about the SS2!  I built Mark's layout a while back and also built the Cornish buffer on a separate board.  One day I decided to see how they sounded together and it definitely sounded better - brighter and more articulate.  So having them both on one board is the way to go.

I'd like to experiment with other circuits, putting the Cornish buffer in front to see how it affects the tone.  How about a Klon with the Cornish buffer rather than the bland op amp buffer it uses?

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

I think you may have just invented the next super overpriced overdrive pedal Frank.

After years of research, using only the finest components and hand wiring...

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Well, as for Klons, I'm a bit of a Klon junkie.  I have the Klon simulated in LTSpice, and it's an interesting circuit in many respects, but then somewhat ordinary in other respects.  For example, you could replace the active tone control with a Baxandall style active control like that used in the Xotic AC/RC Boosters.  The inverting op amp booster stage could be further refined along with the three audio paths which are mixed by this op amp.  I was getting some weird voltage waveforms in LTSpice until I researched it further and realized that the mixer stage is mixing the currents.  Of course, if you mod the circuit too much, then is it still a Klon?

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Blackboarcult
Well if I remember correctly, some Cornish pedals have two buffers,  one on separate board and another before the main circuit, so your theory makes sense :-)

I have also toyed with the idea of putting Cornish buffers before other FX, good to know it's not a stupid thought. This morning I built the Lovepedal Jubilee, which is great sounding but a tad too dark for my taste... if I find some time tomorrow I'll build a buffer, stick it on the front of the Jub' and let you know the results. Hope it brightens it up a bit

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

HamishR
Probably not a bad idea at all as Lovepedal circuits often suffer from being placed next to other pedals - I've had weird noises from some combinations if I have tried a Lovepedal in the mix.  Possibly too minimal - and I LIKE minimal!

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Blackboarcult
Yup, I remember being floored by the Andertons' demo of the JTM and the Jubilee, then feeling kinda disappointed when I checked the layouts on the main site. Really, really minimal hahahaha!

Anyways, I just built a small buffer board and stuck it in front of the Jubilee... and it REALLY brings some life and sparkle to this pedal!!!
We might have found something here...

I'll try later on my other Lovepedals (built a bunch that are still waiting to be boxed). I'm not 100% satisfied with the Jubilee, even if the Cornish buffer improves the hi frequencies response, it still feels kind of "boxy", and I prefer my marshally stuff to sound bigger, more open.

Maybe buffer -> SS2 -> buffer -> Jubilee? Or the ROG Omega instead of the SS2... So much to try, so little time :)

Thanks to y'all for the tips & advices!

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

HamishR
Probably my favourite all-time JTM45 style OD is also a very simple circuit - the Rockett 45 Caliber.  It's not much different from the Animal and Blue Note but damn it's a great OD.  I can post a layout if anyone is interested.  I don't know how JTM45 it sounds but it's one of the best ODs I have played.  Big, punchy, open, etc etc... I love it.  And the enclosure that Rockett makes for it is awesome.

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Blackboarcult
It'd be great if you could post the .45 layout!
I have been searching for it but could not find anything, and I'm really up for anything that sounds remotely marshally...

Thanks in advance, Hamish!!!

Cheers

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Travis wrote
I think you may have just invented the next super overpriced overdrive pedal Frank.

After years of research, using only the finest components and hand wiring...
It's here...the Uni-corn Overdrive.   (You knew I had to do it...heh ).

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

reggy1
Storyboardist has just posted a layout here: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2018/10/rockett-45-caliber.html if that helps.

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

Blackboarcult
Thanks, mate, storyboardist's layoutlooks nice and compact.

However HamishR already posted his vero layout here some days ago ;-)

Re: Cornish SS-2 with buffer onboard

HamishR

FWIW I traced the 45 Caliber from my own pedal.  It wasn't difficult and it's well worth doing because I love that pedal.  :-)  I now have a couple of back-up 45s and have experimented a little with the circuit, but the Rockett guys pretty much nailed that one.  Probably my favourite OD, along with a killer Fetto.