Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion) VERIFIED

Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion) VERIFIED

Suzukiscottie
This post was updated on .
The Grant Distortion was my first effects pedal 30 years ago when I was 16. I still have it and I sometimes give it a blast to remind me of my days when I was a professional musician with my other bandmates in our rock/metal band "Tempest". We played one gig at a youth club, got £4 each then split and went our different ways! Rock'n'roll man!  Such is life! So I thought i'd do a little investigation. It turns out that it is a clone of a Coron distortion 15, which is a clone of a MXR distortion, and has been branded with several other monikers too.

I think I have this right; been over it a few times to check and double check. See what you think. My first DIYLC layout and my first contribution too.

I didn't have the exact resistor values at hand for a couple of them, so I paralleled some to get close to the original schem; see the notes. Sounds fine on the breadboard. So there is scope to shave a couple of columns off if you have the right values.

cheers
Scott

edit - now updated with the correct board size and ground at pin 4

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion)

Hozy31
Verified. Nice basic distortion. Socketed the diodes. Sounds good with either silicon or Ge. I moved things about a bit as i have those value resistors and could only get rid of one column. Yours is actually 19 x 11. Nice job for your first layout, cheers.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion)

Suzukiscottie
Nice one! That was quick!

Thanks for verifying. Now updated.

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion)

Suzukiscottie
It was apparently also badged as a "Storm" distortion according effects database.

This googled image is what mine looks like.

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion) VERIFIED

Hozy31
I found if you remove D3 you get more volume with still a good amount of distortion. Only stumbled upon this as D3 was socketed and the diode fell out
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion) VERIFIED

Suzukiscottie
Hereafter now known as the "Hozy" mod!

Re: Coron distortion 15 (MXR, Grant distortion dc806, Frontline distortion) VERIFIED

You guys might also like to try one Ge diode and one Si diode. This sounds great in the Distortion+!!