Couple of Germanium fuzzes

tjdracz
I was watching the rather excelent Fuzz Detective video (http://tonefiend.com/guitar/fuzzdetective/) and it struck me that we've got couple of pedals which would be cool to see!

Selmer Buzztone (3V, runs on two AA batteries)
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/selmer/schematic/buzz.jpeg
WEM Pep Box:
http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/wem-watkins-rush-pep-box-fuzz.html
Hornby Skewes Zonk Machine (Not sure which version is the 'correct one'):
http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/sola-sound-ltd-tonebender-mki-hornby.html
Maestro FZ-1 (couple of different schematics there but this one seems to be 'consensus' version, also 2 AA batteries):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonm1965/4329619267/
Also FZ-1A version, running off a single AA battery, not too different from first version:
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/fz1a.gif

Re: Couple of Germanium fuzzes

johnk
This post was updated on .
I drew up and built an FZ1, but mine's the -3V version. it sounds great. I also added a pre-gain to mine so I could run it with less fuzz if I want to. I added a small daughterboard so I could run it off of as standard +9V boss power supply.

here's the vero for it:

Re: Couple of Germanium fuzzes

tjdracz
This post was updated on .
Nice one, John but I'm pretty sure that 56K resistor is placed wrong. It was like that on couple of schematics but it doesn't make much sense. Pastel Paralleled with 10K, it gives slightly more than 8K. On the other hand, where it should be, parallel with.volume 500K, it brings it down to about 50K.
My guess is that it was implemented due to surplus of 500K pots. When you look at FZ-1A version, it's pretty similar but 56K is gone and volume is 50K. Coincidence? ;)
How's the highs on your build? I suppose resistor in correct place or just 50k pot would tame any stillness.
Also how's Q2 biasing with that 1K5 on collector? I'm quite surprised to see it there, thought it might be actually 15K, especially since FZ-1A got 10K there

Re: Couple of Germanium fuzzes

johnk
yep. that 56K was wrong. it's corrected now.