Crackly Pot

Adam_MD
So I built a Timmy pedal a few weeks ago and the volume pot is crackly.  It makes a rustling sound when you touch it and crackles when you move it.  It even rustles when you touch it and the pedal is off.

Not quite sure what I've done.  Any help as to what could cause it I'm not sure where to start.

Re: Crackly Pot

Ciaran Haslett
2 possible problems

1. The pot is dodgy or dirty.  Try cleaning it with switch cleaner or replacing it
2. There's DC on the pot.  Measure for DC on Lugs 1 and 2.  If thats the case consider replacing the 1u output cap.

Edit:  That should say lugs 3 and 2

Re: Crackly Pot

nocentelli
Weird, mind's a bit crackly, too.

Re: Crackly Pot

Adam_MD
Well I checked for DC on the lugs which was fine so busted out my switch cleaner then plugged it back in have the volume a few turns and everything seemed fine.  Put the back and the knob on again plugged in and you guessed it crackly pot.

Turns out it was the knob!  Very weird because the inside is plastic.  At least it's sorted now.

Re: Crackly Pot

Frank_NH
Hmmm.  That's really odd.  Did you replace the knob with something else?  Was the knob all plastic?

Re: Crackly Pot

Adam_MD
It was one of these.

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Aluminium-finished_12x17mm_knob_-_black/p847124_8388607.aspx

I bought a bunch of them so swoped the knob and it's fine now.