Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz modified

Freppo
This post was updated on .
My brother gave me the book "Electronic projects for musicials" by Craig Anderton. I contained a few interesting schematics, and this is one of them, the "tube sound fuzz".

It sound great!

I breadboarded it first and modified it alittle to my liking. I removed a switch for lead/rythm distortion. The switch basically bypassed the gainpot in lead mode making it act like it was cranked but it also made it squeal (oscillate) so I felt that it was better to omit the switch. I also added a pulldown resistor and a small value cap to ground at the input to further tame any oscillation that I was getting with the controls cranked.

You could socket and experiment with R2 (sets the maximum gain) and C4 (for more/less bassy sound)

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz modified

mojo321
I actually have one of these chips from 20 years ago when I bought that book!  Thanks for making the vero version.  I remember I made one in a little plastic radioshack box and gave it to one of my students. At the time, it was a real pain (IMO) because you have to etch the boards.  Vero is so much more convenient.  Thanks!

Re: Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz modified

Freppo
Cool! It's a fun book, even today.
My brother found it in a trashbin... complete with the effects-demo vinyl. :)
There are a few other schematics in there that I might do layouts for aswell.

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz modified

Freppo
This post was updated on .
I thought I would share the unmodded layout aswell.
This is 1:1 with the schematic (including  the switch).

This one didn't work out for me though, got alot of oscillation.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz modified

johnk
cool, I built one of those when it was a Craig Anderson article in Guitar Player magazine way back in the 1976. I still have it and it still sounds good. he made two versions, one with a buffer in front of it and one without. the one that I made in '76 has the buffer.

the Way Huge Red LLama and Bogdan Helter Skelter/Polish Love pedals were also based on it.