CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

i had some time on my hand today, so i thought i would try to build a layout for the fuzzbud and a modified one with a treble roll off based on a suggestion on freestompbox forum.

not verified yet, as i haven't had time to build it, but i'm 99% sure its good to go.

I corrected the above layouts, and took some time to see if i could make it any more compact.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

boratto
Multiple orgasms!

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

johnk
what a coincedence, I drew one up for it today too.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

boratto
lol.. i know it was miltiple...

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

you know what they say john. great minds think a like. i was thinking about adding a tone control, but thought a treble rolloff might be easier. i wonder the sound will differ between a full tone control, vs the treble roll off.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

inefficiency
So is this kinda similar to a OKF/Meathead/Ritual?

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

Synsound
I just finished this up today. I think it is similar to the Meathead type fuzzes but IMO it's better. I've done a meathead and ritual but don't care for them due to the noise without input. This circuit is much quieter but every bit as mean. I also like the tone control. It defiantly ads a lot of flexibility.
I would recommend this over the others without thinking twice.
BTW I used Johns layout w/ PN2222's
Thanks for sharing guys.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

nocentelli
rockett88, both of your layouts leave the Q1 emitter ungrounded: the left-hand jumper needs to be connected one hole higher at the lower end, if you see what I mean. Also, I think the tone pot lugs 1 and 2 need to be jumpered or the output is always running through a series 100k resistor which will drop the output considerably.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

Ahh. You are correct. What a silly mistake. I'll fix it when I get home tonight. I made this so long ago before I really got a real hold of doing layouts.  Easy fix.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

nocentelli
Sorry to do this, but they're still not right: You have now grounded Q2 emitter by moving the second jumper - Q2 emitter needs to be connected to ground through the 1k and the 10u electrolytic cap in parallel, and connected to Q1 base via the 100k.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

really? the schematic i have shows that emitter of q1 and q2 go to ground and are connected to both the 1k and 10uF. so i've been working off a wrong schematic. it think someone accidentally showed that they were connected when they weren't. no biggy. thanks for spotting that, i really hate when i make such stupid mistakes and it's not caught.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

nocentelli
I haven't ever seen a schematic for the Fuzzbud, I assumed people had just based their vero layouts on the trace from photos over at FSB and contributions from solidhex (Brad Creepyfingers)

I did a scrappy MS Paint schematic that should hopefully follow the photo exactly

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

Yea I found that when you said I had made the wrong connections. I thought it was based on the fuzz section of the colorsound fuzz-wow, and the schematic I had is wrong and shows that the emitter of q1 is connected to ground and the 100k from the base, and the 1k and the 10uF, and em tier of q2. There's no hump when the 100k is shown going to the 10uF 1k to ground and emitter of q2, so it looks like there's connection made.

I didn't realize that was brad. That's really awesome that he helps out and part of the diy community.

Re: CreepyFingers Fuzzbud

Hozy31
Nice fuzz this one, going to replace something on my board (floor) to add this one in, probably my meathead. As Synsound mentioned its very similar to the meathead and i agree with him that its way better. I used a PN2222A in Q1 and a metal can 2N2222A in Q2, purely because i had only one metal type left. I measured them both and they had exact same hFE of 215. Going enjoy messing with this tonight. Oh, i used johnk layout. thanks as always.
"Red velvet lines the black box"