Crotch Fire Hurricane

Axldeziak
This post was updated on .
Super Hard On with Tone, Volume, and Clipping.
Layout from Madbean's schematic.

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

ibanez48
Is d1 on layout d8

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

Axldeziak
I corrected the layout and replaced the pic.

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

roseblood11

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

fx-fidden
Very nice circuit and extended version of the SHO.
Here's the schematic with an alternative tone style:

I didn't try it, just simulated.
The orgiinal one appear more treble cut. I changed the tone wiring that leaves more treble/presence. In the new Tone we could use even a 22nF cap, and I think it's better a Log pot instead a linear. The new Tone cuts the treble at the same way at minimum, but "boost" more treble.

Maybe it's possibile to add before the Volume pot a RC low pass filter (1k+3,3nF?), if it's too much harsh at higher setting.

The R6 resistor could be a 5k Rev Log Gain pot (Crackle OK) like the original SHO, or we can use a Pre-Gain pot (Crakle it's NOT OK). I'm not sure about the position. I see some SHO version with a 1M Log or Rev Log after the input cap C1.
About C1, 1nF seems a very small input cap, but my emulation software tell me that even a 2.2nF cap produces a certain increase of gain/low end.
I build pedals

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

ThatOneGuy
I gave this layout a shot and I'm getting no audio coming from it. I checked all my cuts, components, and knifed the stripboard with no success.

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

fx-fidden
I found a mistake in the layout. The 5.1k should go on the D of the Q1, not in the G.

I tried to draw a layout of mine, a bit smaller, and still UNVERIFIED.

I'm drawing other layouts based on this in case it works, with the new Tone wiring, the Gain control like the original SHO (Crakle OK), and even a Pre-Gain control (Crakle NOT OK).
I build pedals

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

Axldeziak
Thanks for spotting the error. I corrected the layout.

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

redredbettyz
I tried the corrected layout at the top of the page, and I'm still getting nothing. I may have to try the 2nd layout whenever I get some more stripboard in. Looks like an interesting project.

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

fx-fidden
I'm sorry about the first layout. I hope my layout is fine. Thanks to trying it!
Let us to know about it.
I build pedals

Re: Crotch Fire Hurricane

Axldeziak
I looked over my layout yet again and I can't find anything that doesn't match the schematic. Is it possible you've made an error in your build?