Custom Fuzzface Debugging Help

Re: White noise/hiss with not input coming though

The volume control will often work with noise even if the effect doesn't work.  All a volume control does it dump the signal to ground at the end of the circuit and so it can dump noise to ground as easily as it will dump your guitar signal.

To try to diagnose we'd need to know how you've wired up the adapter and battery to see if that could be the cause.

Re: White noise/hiss with not input coming though

Thanks as always Mark. I get that the volume pot just dumps voltage to ground, but not sure why the input signal isn't getting to the output jack. I might start by removing the stereo jack and battery snap and review that section if the circuit and see if that corrects it.

I'm going to work on the diagnosing it today when I get home from work. But wasn't sure what could be the cause and what to look for as the possible problem. Any other "common" causes of this symptom?

Re: White noise/hiss with not input coming though

Update: I swapped out the stereo jack and battery snap for a mono jack and just the DC jack, and some of the white noise/hiss stopped, but it's still there and I can't get any output. Here's the layout I'm working on. It's a modified CreepyFingers Fuzzface, with added tone control and bias pot, layout made by Silver for me.

The bias pot doesn't seem to alter the bias of the transistor. Here are the voltages for the transistors below, I have 9V coming in.

Q1                            Q2                             Q3
E 8.94V                      C 9.46V                      C 9.31V
C 9.47V                      B 0V                           B 0V
B 9.47V                      E 0V                           E 0V

Note: I have a 2n5088 transistor in the booster section.

Here's the board I built, based on the layout.