DC jack works fine until I put it in enclosure

DC jack works fine until I put it in enclosure

lordradish
Hey, all...

I'm finishing up a pedal right now and I'm not sure what to make of this. I have everything mounted in the pedal except for the DC jack.(it's an effects switcher - power is just for the LED's). I have one of those metal DC jacks. When I hook up power to the jack (before it's mounted in the enclosure) the LED's work fine. As soon as I mount the jack in the enclosure, I can hear it shorting out, and then nothing works. When I take the jack back out of the enclosure, it works fine, again. What could be causing this?I've checked all of my connections in the pedal (it's pretty simple, a switch, some jacks and the LED's) I even replaced the jack with another one. Why would it be shorting out on the enclosure? This doesn't make sense.   I'm kind of a noob.

Thanks.

Re: DC jack works fine until I put it in enclosure

Zanius
Hello!

There is a reason we all use plastic jacks! If you use a metal one your dc shorts on your enclosure since the dc plug connects the + side on the enclosure while your signal jacks connect the - on the enclosure. Enclosure needs to be grounded (connected to - ) to prevent external noise from getting in the pedal. So go for the plastic jacks the next time

Re: DC jack works fine until I put it in enclosure

lordradish

Just on a hunch, I thought about that, and went into my parts box and found one. Solved the problem. Thanks!

On 2/25/2018 3:28 AM, Zanius [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
Hello!

There is a reason we all use plastic jacks! If you use a metal one your dc shorts on your enclosure since the dc plug connects the + side on the enclosure while your signal jacks connect the - on the enclosure. Enclosure needs to be grounded (connected to - ) to prevent external noise from getting in the pedal. So go for the plastic jacks the next time

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DC-jack-works-fine-until-I-put-it-in-enclosure-tp41901p41902.html
To unsubscribe from DC jack works fine until I put it in enclosure, click here.
NAML