DC socket problem

adstrum
I spent a while yesterday debugging some flakey behaviour in a recent build, only to find that it was being caused by a wobbly 2.1mm DC socket. What I'm keen to find out is:

1. Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
2. Where do you source more reliable DC sockets?

Re: DC socket problem

Vince
I've had that problem a couple of times and that was with high priced ones from here

http://www.jprelec.co.uk/store.asp/c=450/DC-power-socket-panel-mounting

I know get all mine from Tayda and I've never had a problem with a single one of them.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-enclosed-frame-with-switch.html

I assume you are using 2.1mm ones..

Re: DC socket problem

I love those ones from JPR Elec, by far the best ones IMO (if you don't bother with batteries).

Re: DC socket problem

GoranP

They look interesting, other sources for us non-uk peeps?

Re: DC socket problem

adstrum
Interesting. The ones I've been having trouble with come from Tayda. They look like they are pretty good quality and I was surprised when I realised that they were the source of the problem.

Re: DC socket problem

Vince
I agree Mark, Maybe it was just a dodgy batch I had but about 5 out of 20 were intermittent. They kept cutting of as if they were too large/ loose. I more than likely got a bad batch but it just put me off buying them again.

Re: DC socket problem

Vince
Also, As a heads up, their Eddystone enclosure quality has dropped terribly! the base plates have been extremely rough around the edges and some even had chunks out of them so I don't buy them from there either anymore. I go to GAPco now and pay a little extra.

Re: DC socket problem

Jon Rep
I have used 70+ of the Tayda 2.1 enclosed ones you have linked above in pedals without any trouble and have just received another 30.

The problem I am having from Tayda is in the Cheaper 6.35 Mono Jacks A-4556. On a few ie. 5 out of 100 or so the nut is too big or the thread is too small and cannot be tightened. A real pain.  I use plumbers Teflon tape for these but in a way so I still get an earth with the enclosure.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/6-35mm-1-4-plugs-jacks/6-35mm-1-4-mono-chassis-socket-jack.html

Tayda are Good.  If you don't receive items or are faulty  I have received Credits from them in future purchases.

In Australia Purchases are received within a week and no Custom fees like in some European Countries. So the prices are reasonable.