DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong
I just finished building Joyride, and sound comes out, but it sounds very muddy, and treble and bass control is not working.
Help me

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

Frank_NH
Hmmm.   This is just a Colorsound Overdriver by another name...

Try flipping the 22 uF capacitor on the rightmost side of the vero around so the negative side is up and the positive side down.  The positive side should be connected to the collector of Q3, per the original schematic.  Some Overdriver schematics show an opposite orientation and a 4.7 uF electrolytic instead of 22 uF (or 25 uF).

Let me know if this works.  I want to build one of these as I have some old BC108C transistors I'd like to use.

Thank you for your input, however, flipping 22uf didn't work :( same result.
Also, I noticed that Gain knob is not working correctly either, only when it's fully maxed, it "activates" a fuzzy noise.

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong
I added an extra cap just like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RTnDcoOFYRk/UEUcoPV5XHI/AAAAAAAACT0/Kw0e5WvWB08/s1600/ColorSound+Overdriver.png

this schematic.

Also found out that this schematic doesn't have 100nf between BASS 1 and 3.
My gain seems to be working, but still "activates" a strong fuzz at max gain, and treble now seems to be working.
But bass still feels maxed out with no control.

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong
One more, on http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99151.0;prev_next=next this forum, the guy said he found out that one of the caps was in wrong direction. And I don't know which..

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

Frank_NH
Can you check the voltages on your transistors?  Try swapping out some transistors too.  Also, use an audio probe to see if you can find where the sound begins to change for the worse.  Maybe it's a bad solder joint or solder bridge.

The Colorsound Overdriver is a very popular effect, so it's unlikely to be the circuit design.  Good luck.

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong

How do I check the voltages? I have a multimeter. Hfe seems to be around 176.

2014. 12. 9. 오후 2:26에 "Frank_NH [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DIVIDED-BY-13-JOYRIDE-HELP-tp15680p15706.html
To unsubscribe from DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!, click here.
NAML

NAML

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

Frank_NH
Check out this page for general debugging hints and a description of the audio probe:

DIYStompboxes debugging page

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong
Interesting how Bass Control is not working still.
Hey Frank, I thought your name was familiar, and I just remembered that you helped me in Gretsch forum as well! haha.

Do you have any idea why my bass control is not working still?

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

Frank_NH
Yeah - how's the intonation these days?

I think at this point you will need to take some high resolution photos of your build to see if someone here can spot an obvious flaw.  Otherwise,  we can't determine what is going on.  Do you have a voltmeter?  Take some voltage readings - they may help.

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong

I put in wound 3rd 11s on it and it has been amazing since then.

I think im.just gonna throw this build out and convert it to colorsound version.

2014. 12. 9. 오후 8:33에 "Frank_NH [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DIVIDED-BY-13-JOYRIDE-HELP-tp15680p15713.html
To unsubscribe from DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!, click here.
NAML

Re: DIVIDED BY 13 JOYRIDE HELP!!!

jwseong

I built Colorsound version and it works. But gain knob acts as a boost upto 90% of taper, and last 10% acts as a fuzz with crazy volume boost.

2014. 12. 9. 오후 8:35에 "John Weon Seong" <[hidden email]>님이 작성: