DIY Solder Fume Extractor

Sensei Tim
found this little gem on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64-RwxSztU

2 fans seems like overkill tho. i think a single fan and a charcoal filter would be perfect for what we do!

Re: DIY Solder Fume Extractor

Beaker
Funnily enough, I'm building a home made extractor myself - got the enclosure, just need to scrounge some fans.

Re: DIY Solder Fume Extractor

motterpaul
I have been wondering how dangerous these fumes can be - I am in a very small air-tight space (for sound isolation). I guess I really need one of these, too. I would think a smaller tube placed right at the one spot where you do your soldering would be just about as effective, however - as long as it has enough suction.

My question is about the fumes - is there lead in them? Or is it just the flux burning off?

Re: DIY Solder Fume Extractor

induction
It's just flux. The vaporization temperature of lead is over 3000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Re: DIY Solder Fume Extractor

As Induction says, you won't get any lead in the fumes, just flux. How dangerous they are depends a few factors.

Degree of exposure - how much is in the air at any time.
Length of exposure - how long you are breathing it in in one session.
Cumulative exposure - how many years you are exposed for.
Personal factors - how your body body might react to exposure.

It stands to reason that soldering eight hours a day, every day for ten or twenty years with no extraction, is more harmful than one hour a week for a few months.

The main problem with solder fumes is that they are a known Asthma agent - they can cause Asthma, and if you already suffer from Asthma, they can make it worse. Factor in the associated risks that go along with Asthma, and you get some idea of the potential danger.

Remember Asthma varies by person - you might never get it, you might get it after ten years of exposure, you might get it after ten days of exposure.

As with all risks, research the facts and then decide if you want to, or need to take measures.