DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
being a bass player, I was looking for another overdrive to build (as if building 125 of them already wasn't enough! . so, I searched and found the schematic of the FX91 online, drew up my own vero of it and just finished building it. IMO, it sounds pretty darn good, and having a blend control is a plus. fortunately, I managed to make the board small enough to fit in a 1590B so it'll be a bit smaller than the original.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

Dave
Sounds cool, any idea what it sounds like with guitar? I'm always interested in dirt pedals with blend controls.
Thanks
Dave

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
I can't say since I haven't tried it with a guitar yet.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
done! modded with more low end and a two way clipping selector:

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

nicowaddle
Hello,
How did you mod it to have more low end, please ? I think by changing some capacitors ?

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
it's been a while since I built it so i'd have to open it up and see what I did.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

nicowaddle
Thank you, that would be nice !!!
And would it be possible to have a picture of your dpdt ?
(and, by the way, excuse me for my english cause I'm french...).

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

I agree. If you can, could you post your layout? Always looking for a good overdrive for bass, as they really are few and far between.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

nicowaddle

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
IMO, they aren't so few and far between. the barbershop, the ecstasy and the timmy are all great bass overdrives.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
rocket88 wrote
 Are those with or without modification?
without.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

Neat. I'll have to try them. I mean if you say they're good then I trust it. In fact, I just went on your site and listened to them, and they do sound incredible, but I think I want to order one of your GBODs, that sounds beyond amazing. Do you have any left?

BTW, so far every suggestion I've read that you make for bass has been spot on. Which is why I'm going to build a TransMORGrifier so I finally have a comp, as I have all the parts.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
rocket88 wrote
 I think I want to order one of your GBODs, that sounds beyond amazing. Do you have any left?
yep :
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/GammaBassOverdrive.html

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

Done and Done John. Just ordered it and can't wait to get it.

Since you modify all of the pedals you build to retain the low end, can I ask what are some of the things you do? I ask only because at this point when I modify my pedals I know to look at the input/output caps, and look at high and low pass filters, but the values I use seem to be more of a random guess and see what happens and if I get something I like I keep it, like the old saying every now and again a blind squirrel finds a nut, which can take forever. I figured with all your experience you might be able to give some good pointers, and suggestions for those of us bassist who could use a little guidance.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
the first thing that I do is socket the input and output caps. sometimes increasing their value helps retain more low end, sometimes not.
then I experiment with other coupling caps, and the LP filters in the drive circuit.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

nicowaddle
Hello,
Did you take a look on things you modified ?

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

johnk
I've just been way to busy to dig it out.

Re: DOD FX91 bass overdrive

nicowaddle
Oooops, sorry !