DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

YerayM
This post was updated on .
This is really a great sounding reverb designed by DeadAstronaut at diystompboxes. Go to the original thread to learn more about it. This has a couple of features not usually found in a reverb as buffered bypass with tails and feedback oscillation switch. It also has a unique mix control where you have to adjust the volume control depending on the mix to match effect/bypass volume. I built mine with a Medium brick but this would sound great with a Short one too.

Edit: added info about pin 2 and pin 4 grounding

Click to open big image
Chasm Reverb - YerayM Layout

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Awesome, thanks for sharing

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Jopn
Wicked.  I just etched this one, but am going to redo it on vero since 20x20 will fit in something smaller than a 1590bb (if I get creative on squeezing that brick in).
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.
MAO

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

MAO
Layout worked perfectly, thank you!

I combined it with my Madbean Zero Point SDX. Had to place the Chasm board upside down with the brick underneath it.

10 knobs, 4 toggles, 3 stomps, 2 boards, 1 rotary switch and a belton brick, fit like a glove in a 1590XX.  At some point I'll drill and add the LEDs.

The delay's mode switch ended up a bit to close to the reverb stomp, next time I'd swap the positions of the mode switch and the jacks.

Took me a couple weeks to get it all together, but worth it. They sound great together.

Analog Delay+

Analog Delay+ guts

Thanks again for the great layout.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Heath
gul

Can you tell me what components are located at D across ,D down and G across, D down? They're grey but un-marked. Thanks so much in advance!
MAO

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

MAO
Diodes D2 through D5. Cathode side up on the standing diodes.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
gul

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

gul
Thanks!

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Freppo
Built this one today for a friend. Works great! :)

Great work on the layout! There's one cut too many on the board (under the 1K resistor between the 2N5457 and 2N7000) but it doesn't hurt. Also, could be worth adding a note on the layout that brick pin 2 and 4 needs to connected to ground.

Thanks,
cheers / Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

YerayM
Thanks to all of you, I'm happy to see you like this :D

Edited the original post to add info about pin 2 & 4 grounding

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

cylens
thank you for the layout, I'm currently using a EQD Ghot Echo, but will definitely give this one a try!

Is it intended for use with a 'long' brick?

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

YerayM
It depends on your taste, I used a medium brick but with the decay control i think you can use a short brick and get enough "roomy" sound. You should try for yourself.

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

cylens
I've got a long brick, I'll report here when I'm done :)

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Freppo
Just a heads up. Just noticed another thing after I boxed up this layout.
Oscillation switch 1 and 3 needs to be swapped.
Now the oscillation is engaged with the switch down...
cheers / Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Skajaquada
I just finished this one, and I can confirm is sounds pretty great with a short brick too!  (I usually order long ones, but I got a short one this time by accident.)

Also, I used J201s instead of the 2N5457s, and it seemed to work fine with no issues. (I didn't have any 5457s on hand, and a quick search said that J201s and MPF102s would be good substitutes.)

Thanks for the layout!

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

traktop
Is there an "easy" way of wiring this for true bypass on a toogle switch? No problem with the buffer, as it seems to be pretty transparent. Is just that I would like to have the option of totally cut the wash out with my foot.
Another thing I noticed, is that when I hit the naga viper with a considerable volume boost, something strange happes when the chasm is off. When reaching a certain point, as I go increasing the boost volume it triggers the reverb for a while, (like when you kick a twin reverb with your foot and you hear a reverb thunder), even when the chasm is in bypass, so there must be something going on in there that overloads the buffer or something.
Cheers, Gilberto.

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Teddeeh
36 cuts? Im counting 35..?
mug

Same for me - however, it works with 35 cuts
Great reverb!

Re: DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb

Teddeeh
So i built this and all controls work as required.  But its insanely quiet...