Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
I'm getting a squeal when I plug the unboxed board into my breadboard. I have checked for shorts and I can't find one. I have checked my values and they are all ok. Any thoughts? The trimmer seems to affect the pitch of the squeal. And the volume pot works as a squeal volume. I'm out of ideas. are there any areas I should check? I should add that this is with the tl072 chip. With the 4558 I get a pulsing "heartbeat" type sound. I did not use the slide trimmer as I believe it's called on the layout, but instead went with a dial trimmer.

I also subbed a 100k and a 470k to get close to an 82k.

Any help would be great, this is the second compressor I have built that will not work. Compreesors are giving me headaches lately.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
IC voltages seem a little weird to me, I could be wrong though.
1. 3.83
2. 3.67
3. 3.68
4. 0.77
5. 0.77
6. 2.4mv
7. 2.4mv
8. 8.96

Q1 (Farthest left on the layout)

D 2.51
S 4.32
G 0.73

Q2

D 8.97
S 5.33
G 4.32

The IC seems to be getting warm as well.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

induction
Can you post some pictures?  It sounds like a mistake in your wiring.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
Here is a link to some images.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

induction
The lower leg of the 2n2 cap is in the wrong hole.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
Yes it is. Thanks. I went over it six separate times and missed this every time.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
Still getting a pulsing sound happening.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

induction
Can you post a picture of your breadboard connections?

bernierunns

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

induction
Sorry, nothing else is jumping out at me.

Stabs in the dark:

- I can't read the values of your caps or some of the resistors.  Did you check them with a DMM before you populated the board?  You're electrolytics all look very similar.  One of them should be a different value from the rest.

- Have you tried swapping the IC again?  Maybe it got cooked.

- It's hard to tell from the picture, but are both of your ground rails on the breadboard connected?  It looks like the rightmost jumper connects them, but I can't see it clearly enough.  Have you used this breadboard successfully in the recent past?

- Finally, have you tried running a small blade between the vero strips to cut any invisible solder bridges?

If I get a chance (this is a pretty big 'if' since I have a two-month-old baby), I'll check the voltages on mine.  I've modified the hell out of it, so they might not be exact, but it might help.

When you finally do get it working (I have faith), you'll want to run it off of a battery or a very well regulated adapter or the hum might be unmanageable.  This circuit expects a battery, so the voltage divider feeding the non-inverting input of the op-amp isn't properly filtered.  This can be fixed but you'd need to redesign the layout.

Setting the bias on this thing can be tricky.  You can't bias by voltage because jfets have a notoriously wide spread in Vgsoff.  That's why you need a trimmer.  There's a very small sweet spot on the trimpot that just barely turns the jfets on.  On one side it acts like a clean(ish) booster with no compression (jfets all the way off).  On the other side it compresses everything equally and it just becomes an attenuator (it gets very quiet, even silent because the jfets are wide open and the input signal is all getting shunted to ground).  Set the trimmer to clean boost territory and then inch toward the quiet side until the volume just starts to drop, then leave it there. That's the spot where the jfets just open up for loud signals but not for quieter ones, and it's just compresses the peaks.  You can go a tiny bit further if you want to reduce the clickiness, but not much more.  It's good that you swapped out the external control for the trimmer.  It's definitely a set-and-forget trimmer, just for setting the bias.  It's not a compression control and it doesn't really give a range of different sounds.  Its only function is to compensate for the variation in jfets.

I added an actual compression control to mine. I swapped the 10k resistor that sets the op amp gain for a 5k resistor in line with a 10k pot.  That gives me a range of gain on the op amp.  More gain equals more compression.  So I have the option of both increasing and decreasing the compression. I always end up leaving it in the stock position.  That's where it sounds best to me.

It's a great little pedal.  I think you'll like it a lot, so keep at it until you figure out what's wrong.  It's worth it.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
I just noticed that I have a 4u7 in the place of a 47u after reading your post. I'm going to swap that out and report back. Thank you for your time and congratulations on the baby. I have twins (they are 8 now), so I know what little time you have.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
Ok, here is what I have got going on, I have a guitar signal but only when I remove the third lug from ground. I am getting an effect finally. After removing the third lug from ground and twiddling with the trimmer. It sounds pretty good. I am building this for a friend of mine who wants a bass muff and a compressor in the same box. It sounds pretty good together with the big muff.

I think I still have some fine tuning to do and I will post the results here but as for now I have a signal and I can finally rest at night.

Thanks again Induction.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

induction
Excellent! Glad you got it working.  That's weird about the trimmer.  I wonder what's going on there.

Re: Debugging an Orange Squeezer.

bernierunns
That I am not sure of. It pulses like crazy until I dial it out with the trimmer. Then I plugged my bass in and it squealed and pulsed again until I dialed it back out. After playing with it for a while I don't think it's working right. I am going to go through it again and make sure I haven't missed anything. I'll search for some voltage readings and compare what I have.