Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

squirrels
I built an Aquapuss clone awhile back using the Sabrotone layout and haven't used it much. I plugged it into the loop of my OR15 and it's very weak sounding, the repeats are very quiet. Sounds great up front but it should go in the loop. I also had the same issue with a Reverberation Machine. Any reason why this would be?

Here is the layout:
http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=670

Re: Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

motterpaul
Check out the specs for your loop - possibly it is designed for rack units which have a different impedance from guitar pedals. If it has a switch that says "-10 / +4" then put it on " -10 " - this is for pedals.

It also could be series or parallel, which you just need to know.

Does your Aquapuss have a blend knob? or a direct out? Make sure you are using it correctly.

I was just working on a Madbean Ping this weekend and I found it sounds FAR better in the loop than up front. It has a blend knob, and also tends to overdrive pretty easily. It had a far more even response in the loop than off of a clean guitar.

The key is to think about loudness levels (aka "volume") and how hard you are hitting the reverb.

In most cases reverbs sound better in loops because there is far less volume variation there. In front of an amp reverb pedals (especially right off the guitar with no limiter or Overdrive pedals which will flatten out the volume output) get hit with low volume notes (single note leads) and loud chords (Full strumming) and they will sound different all the time.

In the loop the preamp has generally already flattened most of the volume spike and the reverb response is far more predictable. Ab overdrive pedal also tends to eliminate volume spikes, so reverbs don't "blow up" so easily.

Re: Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

squirrels
It's a series loop with no switching option. The Aquapuss has a mix knob. It works in the loop but the repeats are very weak. I usually put delay and reverb in the loop with my wah and dirt pedals in front. The only two that were funny in the loop were the Aquapuss and Reverberation Machine but it only acted differently when the switch was set to bright. I don't have that one anymore. Since it was a dirt pedal too it sounded better up front. I also built an Echo Dream. Works great and very clean sounding in the loop.

Re: Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

squirrels
Is there a way to make it more effects loop friendly?

Re: Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

Alex

Re: Delay and Reverb suck in effects loop? Not of them.

squirrels
Thanks Alex but I figured it out. I've been using a volume control at the end of the loop to make my amp more apartment friendly and that was the culprit. I haven't used the Aquapuss in a while and I never remember it being so weak. Took the volume control out and works great.

That buffer does look interesting though. I'm sure someone would get some use out of it.