Deticking

GoranP
Hello all!

No, I'm not having problems with my dog...

I just finished building the Catalinbread Pareidolia from Harald's site and for the first time ran into ticking issues (plain dumb luck thus far, I'm sure).

I'm not asking for specific help regarding this exact circuit, more for any general info regarding LFOs and vero builds and wiring that you may have. Anything that has worked (or not worked) for you with regards to any sort of lfo (vactrol, ic...) ticking issues.

Re: Deticking

I don't know how it applies to the Pareidolia, but in other layouts I've done, separate vbias networks for the audio and LFO sections helps, plus decoupling by feeding the supply to each with a low value resistor.  Lots of supply filtering on the main supply and vbias networks too will also help.

Re: Deticking

Ross
I don't have access to the schematic right now, but would it be worth it to swap the TL072 for a TL062? I've heard that low power op amps can reduce ticking in some instances.

Re: Deticking

GoranP

Mark, any suggestions on the cap values for supply (and decoupling) filtering (I'm using an el-cheapo chinese 9V brick)?

Re: Deticking

GoranP

Ross, I need to do a Tayda order anyways and was gonna get tl062 anyways just to see if it would make a difference. Given the shipping time, I'll have the answer within a month!

Re: Deticking

Surgeon
I assume it's a given but shielded wire for input and output are always helpful with this.

Builds with LFOs are often sensitive to the way the layout's done inside too. Maybe try turning or flipping the board around.

Re: Deticking

alex.s
If you are going to try the adjustments suggested by Mark you should "split" the 9v by running it through a resistor of low value (ie 220R) and then use an elec cap for the filtering; anything from 47u will do (I've seen even lower values), 100u seems to be a common one but have seen 220u in some cases. Shouldn't make much difference but if you start from a lower value and find it only helps slightly you might find using a higher value might be another step in the right direction.
Good luck with the build!

Re: Deticking

GoranP

Thanks for the input, folks!

I have some shielded wire on order but it's taking it's sweet time getting to me. Fingers crossed that's the only issue with my board, I'm getting some weird voltages as well.

I'll implement all your ideas once I get to reflowing the board...