Devi Ever 90 (Unverified)

aelling
This post was updated on .
Description from Effectsdatabase.com:
A fantastic fuzz with tonal characteristics that just scream 90's alternative rock. Works great with palm muting, harmonics, and all-the-way-across bar and power chords. Has a built-in gate but at the same time more gain than you'd probably ever need.

Controls:
Volume knob : Controls the outbound gain of the fuzz circuit, and there is a lot of gain on tap. Use it loud to push an amp into overdrive or boost lead parts. Be careful though, it can get very loud on an amp with lots of head room!

Intensity knob : Controls the amount of forward signal going into the fuzz circuit. This control acts similarly to the sustain, or drive knob, on other dirt boxes.

Brett Kingman demo

Layout (NOTE: 27/04/2020, layout is not like the original, changed from verified to unverified)

Re: Devi Ever 90

aelling
Also forgot to add this layout is verified

Re: Devi Ever 90

MOPO
Hello,
At home works much better without the Q2.
The 2907 EBCs are inverted with respect to the drawing.

Thanks for the layout

Re: Devi Ever 90

aelling
Thanks, this uses the 2N2907A TO-18 cans.

Re: Devi Ever 90

MOPO
I also tried with TO18 ...... but here sounds really better on the breadboard without the Q2, so I'm going to put it in a box :)

thank you

Re: Devi Ever 90

aelling
Removing Q2 is pretty much the same as the Hyperion, just some cap changes and instead of a pre-gain at the input it's after the first gain stage the which is the Dark Boost in Hyperion, here it's the 05 (Punch Hate) circuit.

Re: Devi Ever 90

MOPO
So as I have hyperion I compared and even if the circuits are close it gives 2 different sound.
Hyperion has a lot more gain and sustain while 90 without the Q2 is more raw and less rounder closer to an overdrive and more sensitive to the attack of the strings and seems close to the sound of the video.
If I add Q2 the fuzz hangs too much for my taste and I have to attack very hard the strings and is closer to the sound of the video.
Maybe I too have an error that I can not see
on the breadboard :).

Re: Devi Ever 90

GrooveChampion
Call me stupid but aint transistors like the 2n2907, 2n1308 and ETC can be replaced with a low Hfe TO18 2N2222?

Re: Devi Ever 90

BetterOffShred
I've enjoyed quite a few of Devi pedals after i swapped lower gain alternatives at key locations.  The Torns Peaker and ruby to name a couple.  Definitely give it a try

Re: Devi Ever 90

rasmarc
I have a 90, built this one here several times and also found out that without Q2 it sounds 97,12% like the ninety. The only difference i recognized it's a bit more flat sounding, but that doesn't make it sound worse just a little bit different. The original is a bit more "singing" when playing a solo.

I opened my 90 to check the number of transistors and found three.

Second mod: i use a A100k as volume potentiometer. Now it behaves like my original 90.

Thank you aelling for the layout.

Re: Devi Ever 90

aelling
I see, all the info I have on this from the DeviEverDIYinfo.pdf:
if you have the kits, the 90 is Punch Love (05) > Dark Boost BUT BUT BUT you put 2N2907a transistors into the
empty transistor spots on each board. Also the Punch Love (05) is wired with the pot post-circuit rather than just
banging the 05 directly into the dark boost. If that doesn't make any sense, someone here might be able to help you.
Hounds Tooth is the same configuration, except the 2N2907a only goes in the 05. Looks like Silver Crank!!
HT/90: Or the other way around? Or in the #2 board (DB)?
So, whoever made the pdf was unsure about the where the extra transistors went in the Hounds Tooth & 90, but thanks, I'll mark this as unverified.