Different clipping options for a Xotic AC Booster

Different clipping options for a Xotic AC Booster

Harry Maes
Hi,

I'd like to add a 3-way 2PDT on-off-on switch to an AC Booster circuit, much like the AC Booster comp pedal. My guess is that the AC Booster comp probably has no clipping in the middle position (open) and adds asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping in the upper and lower positions.

I've also read that the AC Booster used to have 3 1n4148 diodes (asym) and more recent versions have 4 (sym). The RC Booster has 6 clipping diodes. I'm not sure if the AC Booster comp also has a combination of si clippers and leds.
What I'd like to know:

- What's the effect of the number of clipping diodes? Does a lower amount result in more clipping? The AC Booster comp has a normal setting (probably asym with 3 clipping diodes) and a compressed setting. Would the comp setting be 2 or rather 6 diodes?
- I know that asym/sym has an effect on the wave form so I want to at least have asym on one side and sym on the other side.
- I'm also thinking to combine si diodes with leds (2 red). What combinations have you found to be interesting?

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers,

Harry

Re: Different clipping options for a Xotic AC Booster

crw414
I've been experimenting with clipping lately , this is a good article , it helped me understand better.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/diodes.html
this page talks about hard and soft clipping in various forms.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/distortion/
hope it helps

Re: Different clipping options for a Xotic AC Booster

Harry Maes
Thanks for the information!

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,

Harry Maes

2013/12/17 crw414 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]>
I've been experimenting with clipping lately , this is a good article , it helped me understand better.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/diodes.html
this page talks about hard and soft clipping in various forms.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/distortion/
hope it helps

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Different-clipping-options-for-a-Xotic-AC-Booster-tp7272p7274.html
To unsubscribe from Different clipping options for a Xotic AC Booster, click here.
NAML