Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Hi trying to build the layout from this site and it's not passing any signal. this is is the first time i've used a pt2399

It's just not working here are the voltages I have. I thought it may have been a power supply issue, something puffed smoke when I used a larger power supply (I think it was the regulator but it still seems to be working?)

I've been over it and checked for obvious solder bridges etc.
I'll add photos in the next post
9.10 v battery

I-4.96v
G-0v
O-3.63V

IC1

pins 1-4
4,82
3.25
1.94
0.00
Pins 5-8
2.33
3.03
1.50
4.75

IC2
pins 1-8
3.44
0.02
0.00
0.00
0.00
0.00
0.00
2.81

Pins 9-16
0.06
0.02
0.05
0.05
0.04
0.04
0.04
0.05

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

You don’t show 9V anywhere in your readings which is a problem

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
I thought that might be a problem, it reads 9V at the battery but as soon as I connect it I read 4.96
Any idea why this could be?

I went and reflowed some solder yesterday

here's some pics

Top side
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClsOK2bPeSo6hgfw2 (the print out covers the links and cuts so you can't see them)
Bottom Side
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wSXMpoexu3rObuXl2 (I lifted a track on the second row from bottom right)

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

The circuit will draw current from the battery. If the battery does not have enough current, the voltage will drop.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

induction
The PT2399 is pretty current-hungry and rarely works well with batteries, even fresh ones. I'd recommend seeing if it works with an adapter before you get too deep into troubleshooting.

However, you mentioned something puffed smoke when you attached a 'larger power supply'. That's never a good sign. I'm guessing you killed a component that now has an internal short, and you're dumping a bunch of current to ground, which is why your battery voltage drops so low as soon as you plug it in. Can you be more specific about what power supply you plugged in? If it had the wrong voltage or polarity, or outputs AC instead of DC, you probably fried something. If one of your electrolytic filter caps or your regulator was installed backward, that would explain it as well.

Anytime you see the magic smoke escape, you should assume something in the circuit just died.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Yeah the power supply I used was an old laptop supply that I usually use without problems on most pedals i've built. I thought it was 18v but I measured it at 22v so I don't really know.

I think the smoke came from the Regulator. It got really hot really quick. According to the datasheet I had it the right way around.
I've double, triple checked all the electrolytic caps and they're all right.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

induction
The regulator looks backward in the picture.

according to the datasheet from the store I bought it, it's the right way around https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/9055328993310/ZV1539-dataSheetMain.pdf

if it blew I might have to get another couple and try

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

induction
Sorry to disagree, but it does appear to be backwards. The image in the datasheet marked 'Bottom View' indicates it should be installed with the flat side facing the diode.

It's probably dead and needs to be replaced at this point.

It also appears that you have forgotten to install all of your links.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Yup you're probably right about it being backwards, for some reason I just assumed the bottom view was the top view (I didn't even read "bottom")

I'll try get a new one in the next couple of days

What links look missing? keeping in mind they're under the paper so can't be seen in the pic

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

induction
FlexYourHead wrote
keeping in mind they're under the paper so can't be seen in the pic
That probably explains it. I missed that in your post above. Disregard that bit.

Hopefully a new regulator will fix it. Best of luck.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
I'll try a new regulator, maybe pick one up tomorrow and give feedback either way after I've tried!

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Ok I tried a fresh regulator and still get no signal with a battery and I get about "half" the voltage on the input

With the 22V power supply I get a high pitched whistle and the TL072 get's very hot. I've just read the datasheet and max voltage is 18v? so I've probably cooked it right? I don't have any TL072s left but have a few 4558, so before I try them and they cook...

what steps should I take?

am I better off waiting on getting my 9v power supply back or will it work on a battery?

this is the first circuit that has me stumped with where to start.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

Try the correct power supply and in the future just try the correct power supply before you even post a debugging thread. It may be the power supply or maybe not, but you might as well try doing it right before taking someone else’s time

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Well that's a little bit of a rude response?

I Had used the "correct" 9v battery first. I've since learned a battery may not be the best for this circuit

I used the wrong supply incorrectly assuming that
A. The regulator was backwards (pointed out in this thread)
B. The whole circuit would run on the 5v provided by the regulator.

I've been a regular user of this site for a number of years and this is the first I've posted asking for help. What a shitty attitude you have towards"wasting someone's time"

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Disaster-Transport-Jr-Help-needed-tp41692p41730.html
To unsubscribe from Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed, click here.
NAML

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
So I've tried it with the "correct" supply and it still doesn't work, a brand new 9v DC power supply.

I guess I am back to the start with de-bugging.

Anyone have any helpful advice?

I've used an audio probe but I lose the signal pretty quick, I'll admit I don't really know what I am doing with it, other than following the input...

so please help without any snarky BS, I'm actually trying to learn here

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

Marbles
I can't help you I'm afraid. I can only advise you since you want to learn. And please don't take this the wrong way, but:

You have a problem with a pedal, that's frustrating, we've all been here. An Administrator of this website tries to help. He goes over your pedal, checks your pics, reads your voltages etc.

No one owes you this time to help, but they glady do it. Only to find out that you (even though it states 9v) used some weird laptop powersupply.

If you follow the layout and have a problem, people can help. If you decide to be adventurous, there could be all kinds of things wrong because of that, and of course people feel that their time is wasted. Someone calls you out on that (Someone that has gone over the pedal for you, so that you can fix it) and in my eyes RIGHTFULLY so, and instead of apologizing, you complain about it. To someone that is administrator and takes his time to post layouts on this website, so that WE can build pedals.

He and the other administrators take time of their own, without getting payed, to draw out vero's from layouts so that we can save huge amounts of money and build awesome pedals.

Now I maybe from a different generation, but stop with the entitlement and show some more gratitude instead of complaining when someone rightfully calls you out. They actually took time of their own to help you.

It's good that you're trying to learn, the lesson here being: Show some respect instead of shooting yourself in the foot. No one owes you anything, be nice and people will help you through any layout you have problems with.

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
You’re right maybe I was a bit sharp in my initial response, call it being frustrated that I was told I waisting someone else time (though not by the person who had been helping, who I was actually respecting and following advice from) so yeah.

Rookie error.
I’ve used and supported this site for years with no problem with anyone, so yeah I feel a bit entitled when I feel like someone has spoken down to me - with or without good intent their delivery was horrible.

Whatever.

Going to write this layout off, I’ve purchased a PCB for it.

On 5 Mar 2018, at 18:36, Marbles [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Disaster-Transport-Jr-Help-needed-tp41692p42027.html
To unsubscribe from Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed, click here.
NAML

I did look over the layout, an dcould you check this link? it does not seem to be there:

Re: Disaster Transport Jr - Help needed

FlexYourHead
Yes it's there, I did the links and cuts the same way as the components (printed on paper)  but that is under the "second layer" of components if that makes sense. I've used this technique for the last 4 or more builds without any problems. But that's not to say it's not bulletproof

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Disaster-Transport-Jr-Help-needed-tp41692p42029.html