Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

inefficiency
Hey guys.

I normally don't bother with a battery when building effects. I have a power supply, so there's no point for me. However, I'm building one for a friend and he needs it to have a battery snap.

What method do you guys use to disconnect the battery when the effect is unplugged, so that it doesn't drain between uses?

Cheers.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

boratto

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

i use marks offboard layout always, but if i'm putting a battery in i use the power wiring on the beavis layout boratto posted.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

inefficiency
Cheers guys. Looks pretty decent! I'll give it a go.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

dexxyy
Note that this will only disconnect the battery when the input cable is unplugged, not when the power supply is unplugged. If your mate leaves his pedal on a board in a chain it will still drain the battery
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

Jopn
dexxyy wrote
Note that this will only disconnect the battery when the input cable is unplugged, not when the power supply is unplugged. If your mate leaves his pedal on a board in a chain it will still drain the battery
Yeah, you'll need to have a 9v jack with the switchable ground to pull the battery out when it's plugged into an adapter.  Any of those larger jacks have them (3 connections on the back), but the slimmer lumberg style ones with the 2 connections do not.
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

inefficiency
You mean one of these fellas?

Right. There's probably no chance he will be using a power supply at the moment, so all I need is for the battery to not drain when he has the jack unplugged.

I was under the impression that those jack sockets disconnected the battery when a dc jack was inserted, so if I used one of those, wouldn't he need to have a dc jack connected in order to stop the battery draining?

If that is the case, wouldn't he be better off with the 2-pin ones? That's a bit annoying seeing as he will probably get a power supply once he gets a few more pedals.

Re: Disconnect Battery When Not In Use.

AC_FX
A DC jack with the battery (+) connected to an NC (normally closed) switch lug will keep the battery from draining whenever there's a power supply plugged in.  Plugging into that kind of jack opens the switch, which disconnects the (+) side of the battery.   Even if the input is still plugged in, connecting the battery's (-) side to ground, the battery still can't drain if the other side is disconnected.