Do we actually have any female members?

Silver Blues
Other than Devi Ever (who's a corner case), I don't think I've ever seen any women involved or even interested in our particular line of work. Although we're pretty good at being inclusive of everyone possible, general internet procedure says that everyone is assumed male unless otherwise told. So, I'm curious.

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

The most prominent and talented female builder I can think of is Linzi Haynes who solders for DAM.

Devi is pretty openly transsexual so I guess her gender is open to interpretation, though personally I just accept her as a female.

I built a custom delay for a girl before and shortly after she started building her own pedals (not commercially). Judging by her pics she was a real cutie too

So there are lady builders out there but few and far between. I think women generally have a lot of attributes that could make them superior builders. My girlfriend's first attempt at populating a tagstrip looked like it was done by a seasoned pro

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Silver Blues
Travis wrote
The most prominent and talented female builder I can think of is Linzi Haynes who solders for DAM.
Ah, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool. I mean, we do have some female builders in the instrument industry, just look at the uh... the girl who winds pickups for Fender (what the fuck is her name...) She's pretty famous and her pickups are top-notch.

Devi is pretty openly transsexual so I guess her gender is open to interpretation, though personally I just accept her as a female.
Yeah same.

I built a custom delay for a girl before and shortly after she started building her own pedals (not commercially). Judging by her pics she was a real cutie too

So there are lady builders out there but few and far between. I think women generally have a lot of attributes that could make them superior builders. My girlfriend's first attempt at populating a tagstrip looked like it was done by a seasoned pro
 yeah what I find a lot of the time is that when tasked with the same thing, a guy will build something perfectly functional and quality but it will probably look like hell while a girl will make it functional AND pretty. lol

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Heath
Silver Blues wrote
 the girl who winds pickups for Fender (what the fuck is her name...) She's pretty famous and her pickups are top-notch.
 Abigail Ybarra?

Leo actually had a whole staff of ladies winding pickups in the old days.

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Don't forget. MJ at seymour duncan. She's been there for ever, I mean she wound pickups for jaco, and made the same ones for me for my fretless jazz.

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Frank_NH
The world of pedal building is perhaps a lot like the world of guitar/stringed instrument building in general.  There are certainly world-renowned female guitar builders like Linda Manzer, but in general males seem to outnumber females.

BTW, in the pedal building arena, don't forget Fran of Frantone...

Frantone

She has a bunch of cool articles on her site about pedal building and various science topics.  A gear geek through and through - like all of us....

My hope is that if there are some female DIY pedal builders out there, they would find this site to be informative, inspirational and friendly, and ultimately choose to participate.  And that our passion for this hobby is not about who you are but about what you know and sharing that knowledge with others.  Carry on.

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Heath wrote
Silver Blues wrote
 the girl who winds pickups for Fender (what the fuck is her name...) She's pretty famous and her pickups are top-notch.
 Abigail Ybarra?
YES that's it. Thanks

@Rocket/Frank oh neat! I guess there are more out there that I thought! It's true though, that's what we're here for and I do hope we get more ladies involved!

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

popov56
Well ....... if you're a wee bitsy flexible on how you interpret the question, does a bloke in a frock count?

Tsk ........ men and their hobbies eh?

Popov

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

negativefx
Abby retired!  Josefina replaced her.  I've met both of them at the Corona plant and they're both not only incredibly talented at winding pickups, but they also both dabble in repairing SWR amps when they have a long list of repairs on hand.

FWIW, I have two sets of Abby custom shop SSS pups, a pile of Josefinas, and all my fender basses are loaded with Josefina P+J pups.  They sound GREAT!  Even the SSS sets are near silent.  I have a small bit of noise on one of the J pups but I think that's an issue I created with the dual gang pot wiring more than it's a pup problem.

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Heath

Re: Do we actually have any female members?

Geiri
EHX has a lot of females that assemble their pedals, that's pretty cool!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects