Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

motterpaul
The above look cool, but I think you do have to be careful NOT to try something that will make it look too uncool - like a batphone or a .

Unforchanuttley... finishing off pedals is not something I have perfected. But my amp-installed reverb unit looks pretty cool, I think. The wires coming in tap off the treble pot in the amp and return to the master volume. Shielded wires with a ground to the amp pots' covers, and a loop with a DC supply voltage (about 270v DC) tapped off the phase inverter B+.

Mounting the drive & recovery circuit with dwell & mix controls  showed me the magic of hot glue. (everything is also now screwed in).

Basically, it was just kind of cool to think about a different kind of installation from what we do every day.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman
Bat phone you say? pedals under glass? that would be a hoot!
Finishing pedals is not my favorite process either.
 I've sprayed some with OK results

hand painted designs (crappy chunky acrylic was all I had at the time)

Even used a metallic gold and classic black sharpie marker

...but when I find an oddball piece its just fun to figure out how can I make it work? This is a Zvex SHO crammed in a salvaged industrial control box from a linear actuator arm thingy... I think. it's tiny! I thought 1590a were tough to work in.

BTW, congrats on your amp mod. do you have any external control over it? on/off switch etc. can't tell from the pic.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

Silver Blues
What's the purple one? I like it.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman
 The purple one was a Robot devil, slight modded. traded out the starve control for a master volume as recommended in the build thread. good idea indeed. the starve control is cool and I have plans to build again utilizing it but hooking it up to a momentary footswitch to only have chirps/garbles/noise as an extra when desired instead of all or nothing.
 The paint was model car spray, Ford licensed purple metallic. Testors brand, maybe... was a while ago no longer have the can. when it was finished I installed Tayda 5mm ultraviolet LEDs, which looked more blueish to me. not bad all in all. was a request from a friend. that's the short story. if you're feeling adventurous, read on.

  I think I'm an addict for that circuit, I know its known for its glitchy noisy filth but I believe it has way more untapped potential than its given credit for. I basically use it as part of a pseudo-monosynth set up. I'll do my best to explain. hope this makes sense.
 Using a neck pick up with the tone knob rolled off (sounds familiar if you have used an octave fuzz) it tracks unbelievably well. VERY stable... but like an octavia or Foxxtone it has a limited range of WHAT it can track well. lower notes struggle a bit but anything around and past the 12th fret seems good. It does gate the octave a bit but I use a Klon style buffer before it and it seems to improve the overall tracking and response.
  Now add a filter after it ( a wah should do the trick, I don't currently own one so I speculate) I use the Nurse Quacky, the Kraken or the Anderton super tone control which I modded for expression control. (its a proto type hacked ugly box thing with a gutted plastic wah stuck to it... it works  but man its ugly)
Funny thing about autowah and envelope filters, they track dynamics and the robot devils octave isn't exactly dynamic... which allows you to set a some what repeatable BWOW with your filter, very synthy indeed.
 All thats left is choice of ambiance to add. I enjoy the Deep blue delay and or my TC Hall of fame verb.

so.. quick recap. Buffer>Robot Devil>Filter>Echo/Verb= a decent monosynth experience.
apologies for the long winded response. You hit a nerve.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman
back on topic.
wedge shape electronic enclosures make for something a little different.
a little pricey for production but I don't mind a couple extra bucks for a one off.
I chose not to paint as it comes well finished in what could only be called Smoked Gouda Cheese.
Tayda knobs seem to match decently enough.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

I've seen those for sale at fry's but the metal is a thin gauge and too flexible. Did you reinforce it?

I made a bass fuzz for my bandmate in one of those before and it got crunched. Lol

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman
No reinforcements. This was decently thick  material. Sturdy but lightweight. No problems as of yet. Possibly different manufacturer?
I got this at U Do It electronics, Needham Massachusetts U.S.A.
Frys is UK? Pardon my lack of research if not.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

nocentelli

clockman, that looks amazing! Where are the jack sockets?

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman
Thank you, the jacks and power are on the top backside. I will post another picture later today.
Google- silent butler. You may see where i get some of these ideas.

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

Frys is in the US but most of their stuff is probably from China anyway. That looks exactly the same as the one that I used. It seems ok, but you can flex it enough to ruin it just with your hand, and if you give it to your drunk bass player who doesn't really normally use pedals and just stomps all over shit..

I was thinking all it needs is a wood block to keep the top from caving in, but was too lazy to try again

Re: Does anyone NOT use 1590xx boxes?

clockman

there they are. the symmetry is off and I've changed the knobs but that's why you buy two when you can.

@Travis-yes a wood block would support it well. I've never been one to pull a super-fly jimmy snuka off the top ropes onto a pedal though
12