Dogboy Distortion

Freppo
Thought I'd share this one again here, seems appropriate :)

It's a high gain distortion/fuzz hybrid thingy that sounds kinda like a broken speaker.

I call it the Dogboy Distortions and  it's a 100% original design that i've been experimenting with on the breadboard for many many hours.

schematic
dogboy schematic

My layout

The Layout is verified by me, and also Hans-J on the freestompboxes forum built this one with success.

Here's a couple of videos

I hope anyone finds this interesting :)
cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dogboy Distortion

kavelj22
Nice job...definitely building this one!. Just the way i like it. Dirty sound for dirty punk rock

Re: Dogboy Distortion

boratto
I like that! Great badass effect! Certainly i will build this one.

Re: Dogboy Distortion

Freppo
I'm glad you like it!

There is a better version in the works though if I ever get around finishing it.

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dogboy Distortion

boratto
News about the new version Looking at the volume position, assuming it´s at clean signal level, more volume will not be bad.

Re: Dogboy Distortion

Freppo
boratto wrote
News about the new version Looking at the volume position, assuming it´s at clean signal level, more volume will not be bad.
Do you mean that it would be better with a louder output? It's way above unity, so I think it's fine as it is. It's hard to tell from that video.

I did do some tinkering with it a few months ago and put the changes in a updated schematic:

But I haven't updated the vero layout yet, because I think it needs more changes, especially to the tone controls and the first JFET stage. I will play around with it some more later this week. Thanks for the comment and reminding me of this little circuit! :)

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dogboy Distortion

boratto
I really like how it sounds and if it´s loud, it´s ok. I´ll wait for the new vero... for sure this one will be on my build list.

Re: Dogboy Distortion

Silver Blues
Fredrik,

Could you explain to me a little how the gain control (with the transistor, diode etc.) works? I really love my Poinsettia design and I've been thinking lately that I want to take the idea and expand it to a higher-gain circuit, and I'm looking for new ideas and circuit blocks. Thanks in advance.

Re: Dogboy Distortion

Freppo
Hey Silver Blues

I would love to explain, but to be honest I don't really know what the transistor is doing in this circuit. I just thought it would be worth experimenting with a transistor in the feedback path of an op amp. This was a long time ago when I didn't know what I was doing lol, so I kinda regard this one as "old stuff". The schematic is a result of alot of trial and error. There's even a reverse biased 470uF cap there, oh my. What was I thinking? :P I  Sorry to give you this useless answer.

cheers / Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Dogboy Distortion

Silver Blues
Haha no that's alright. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to just breadboard this and find out. Trial and error sometimes yields some good stuff.