Dual Loop effect switcher

motterpaul
I thought this was going to be easy, but it isn't (since I cannot find a schematic)...

I want a "dual looper" box schematic with a set of throughout jacks (in/out) where the signal can be sent and returned to either loop A or loop B - but I don't want both on at the same time. I also want it to be a single foot switch.

so...

                 |>>> send A >>>>>Return A |
Input>>> >|                                           |>>>Output >>>
                 |>>> send B>>>>> Return B |

And if I can also have two LEDs to tell me which is on - even better.

Basically, I want the schematic for this: (no battery needed)

http://www.taydakits.com/instructions/looper/pages/enclosure-and-wiring--20

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

Beaker
Try this:

You will need to use a battery and/or DC socket if you want the LEDs to light up.

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

motterpaul
Thanks Beaker, I looked at this one a long time, (and FWIW I have almost all of the old Beavis site saved so I can re-read the articles.).

As far as i can tell this does not turn one effect off, which is what I want, it only switches the order. I am sure it is a minor modification to make it do what I want, but my brain just does not work this way yet (as much as I try).

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

Neil mcNasty
I'm not a 100% sure if this is what you want to do, but how about this:
Make a standard looper (just 1 loop), but at the send and return, you add a toggle switch that toggles between to sets of send/return jacks.
This way you only have one of the pedals in the loop at the time.
The only drawback would be that the pedal that is not assigned to the loop, is unavailable for use...

Actually I'll build one like this for myself, since I switch between using two different sub octave pedals (that are on a looper, with the pedals mounted underneath the board) and I never need them both at the same time.
Thanks for triggering the idea!

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

Yeah, you are right - it swaps the order rather than turing one or the other off/on.

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

nocentelli
This kind of thing?

Single bicolour LED would be even fancier

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

motterpaul
This does seem to do it. I plan on using two different color LEDs in line with the jacks.

I looked at the Beavis one for so long I convinced myself I needed a 4pDT. But I guess I don't.

Ironic - I practically drew it up above:

                 |>>> send A >>>>>Return A |
Input>>> >|                                           |>>>Output >>>
                 |>>> send B>>>>> Return B |

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

motterpaul
By the way - Nocentelli. Thank you (of course).

I wonder why the Tayda kit uses a 4PDT?  Could it be for the two LEDs? also BTW, I think those "TaydaKits" are a new part of Tayda offerings along with a new blog. Something they just added.

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

nocentelli
There's a schematic called schematic-4 that shows the 4th pole on the 4PDT is used to ground the unused send input. however, if you changed the LED pole on the 3PDT to switch ground to the LEDs (instead of power via the CLR), I don't see why you couldn't use it to also ground the unused send...

http://www.taydakits.com/instructions/looper/pages/schematic--4

Re: Dual Loop effect switcher

motterpaul
I built it just the way you drew it and it works just fine. I don't perceive any ground problems - but it does seem to hum a little on one channel.

What I did is put one rhythm overdrive on the green channel, and a crunchbox with delay on the red channel for leads. It works great. The hum sounds more like just line noise rather than ground but it is worth looking into.

Man - I am really glad I did that, no more tap dancing between rhythm and solos. One switch and I go from my rhythm overdrive to my lead tone with delay. Loopers are the only way to fly.

If I want to have a clean rhythm and my lead sound I just turn off the "green" pedal and the looper still works.