E11even protection diode

Kost1978
Hi to everyone,
I know it's a dumb noob question ever before asking, but...I'm asking it anyway! Sorry...

The E11even blog's page reads "For the protection diode you can use a 12v zener or just a red LED", so, is it really "safe" to use a normal 5 o 3mm RED LED in place of the Zener?
Isn't it possible to use one of the "usual suspects" as a protection diode?

Thanks
Paolo.

Re: E11even protection diode

It isn't a reverse supply protection diode like we often see in these circuits, this is a diode to protect the mosfet gate from static which will damage it.  You could use pretty much any diode to do that, it won't affect the sound at all.

Re: E11even protection diode

Kost1978
As usual, thanks for clarifying it Mark!