EHX NYC Reissue Big Muff V9

DanielC
This post was updated on .
Basically, I took IvIark's layout for the black Russian Big Muff and changed the values to agree with the schematic for the NYC Reissue. Here's the schematic that I used (source). I believe this schematic is most likely accurate, because I found another one that agrees with it (source).

Note that this circuit is slightly different from the version posted here in October. My version is the "reissue" from ~2000, whereas the version IvIark posted is a more modern revision.

I hope it's ok that I modified IvIark's existing layout rather than making my own from scratch. I figured it would be nice, too, in case anyone wants to compare it to the black Russian. But let me know if you'd rather me take it down.

EDIT (2014 Dec 9): Verified! I know it's like eight months later, but I finally built this on Thanksgiving day using this layout, and it works.

Re: EHX NYC Reissue Big Muff V9

Muadzin
Maybe it should include that mids switch? Like in the other Muff layouts IvIark did. I find it an incredibly useful feature that I include in all my Muff builds.

I built me a NYC reissue Muff using the Musikding kit and I found it to be a good one. With the mids switch of course. I know the NYC version doesn't get a lot of love, because everything used to be bettah in the past, but I put it up against a number of Triangle and Ramshead specs builds and it held up quite well.

Re: EHX NYC Reissue Big Muff V9

DanielC
This is way late for a response, but I just recently built this pedal, finally.

I know a lot of people like the mids switch, but I'm personally not a big fan. I included a mids switch on a black Russian Big Muff build I did a while back, but I've always found myself leaving it in the "off" position. Plus, I built my Russian Big Muff in a 1590BB, and I wanted to fit this one into a 1590B, so I left out the switch for sake of space.

If anyone wants to add in the mids switch, they can easily compare to Mark's black Russian layout; it's only two additional wires.

Re: EHX NYC Reissue Big Muff V9

Muadzin
I agree that adding the mid switch is dead easy. I even add it to real PCB muffs (just solder a wire to the collector of Q3). And while I prefer the pure Muff sound as well, its really helpfull in a band situation where you disappear into the mix. Just flicking that switch from scoop to flat can be enough to suddenly cut through the mix again. Which is why I think it's mandatory for those who play Muffs in actual bands. Leave it off at your own peril.

Re: EHX NYC Reissue Big Muff V9

j-pee
hi, thanks for the layout, and the verification,

you said: "I hope it's ok that I modified IvIark's existing layout rather than making my own from scratch."

knowing IvIark (like we all know him) we can be sure that it is OK :)

moreover, I love it,
I love looking at the two one after one, using the left and right arrows on my keyboard...
the value changes couldn't be visualized better :)

also, this adaptation by you just makes the vero side project of the big muff history more organic :)