EHX - Talking Machine

notnews
Hey guys

I've always had a huge spot in my heart for format filters... filters of any kind, actually.. but especially vocal-esque filters. The EHX TM caught my eye a while back, and I've been considering pulling the trigger for a while... the other day I was listening to Unknown Mortal Orchestra's first record, I, and I think they use the effect on a track from that album. UMO's guitarist Ruban is a master of filters like the TM... if anyone likes psych/pop/rock/weird music, definitely give those guys a listen.

anyway.. I was hoping someone here owned one of these guys. I would really like to see a few gutshots of this effect. I assume it's DSP- based, with all those presets and different vowel types it would be almost impossible to create this effect in all analog.

the end game was gonna be to try to isolate some of these filter circuits from the rest of the pedal.. to see if ALL of the filter sounds were algorithms on the DSP, or if some of the filtering and effects were in fact analog and on the board.

Any schems/pictures/info you guys have on this effect would be great... =)

Re: EHX - Talking Machine

UMO are awesome!!

Sadly the Talking Machine isn't gonna be happening so I have nothing to contribute to that conversation but.. Have you ever checked out the Colorsound Dipthonizer? That's the analog predecessor to this idea

Re: EHX - Talking Machine

notnews
I haven't used the Dipthonizer.. but I've heard mixed reviews. What do you think of it? I've heard that it's capable of making a handful of different vowel-y sounds.. maybe if I could add an expression pedal jack to it, or add some sort of modulation-input to it where I can hook up an LFO of my choice..