EM Drive & Paramount help!

jwseong
I built EM Drive but with 2n5088 and MPSA18(original tranny), I get a horrible fuzz glitchy sound.
And sound only comes out when I turn the gain pretty high.
Using 2n2222 or 2222a or 2n3094 seems to solve it, but higher hfe 3094 seems to have a nasty gain breakup sound with gain at noon.

Would using PIO caps allow me to use MPSA18?

I built Paramount OD, and it worked like the stock.
I have the actual stock Paramount overdrive to compare to, and the gain on the clone wasn't as smooth as the original. And at low gain setting, just enough to hear some gain kicking in when strum hard, it has some crackle sound in the background.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Re: EM Drive & Paramount help!

well the EM Drive is probably due to the other transistors not biasing properly. you can solve it 1 of 2 ways. 1, replace the bias resistor with a trimmer and adjust until it sounds good or 2 leave the transistor in that makes it sound good. the caps have nothing to do with the bias of the transistor.

the paramount could be the taper of the gain pot. are you sure you're using a linear pot, not log or anti-log? if you do have a linear pot in it, try swapping it for a different taper to see if you like it better or try a different pot, maybe the one you have is bad.