EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
Hello! I'm trying my second build after successfully managing the Woolly Mammoth.

It's the EQD Hummingbird Tremolo from here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Dx-rCThWk58/Uzu67s0LUSI/AAAAAAAAGe4/1_0RyGhb9RY/s1600/EarthQuaker+Devices+Hummingbird.png

I'm getting signal with the pedal on, and off, but when the pedal is on I don't get the tremolo effect. The pots seem to do nothing but change volume. I think some other people had problems with the 2N2646 transistors, but I have four, which all seem okay, although I don't know how to thoroughly check them.

I've tried to get a couple of decent photos.

I also realised I had a tantalum 1u capacitor, so I switched that for a ceramic, but that didn't help either. Now I'm wondering if it's just something really small and daft, or maybe even the offboard wiring. I've checked over things several times and I can't spot anything, so any help would be greatly appreciated! I've tried scoring between the tracks too, and reflowing any dull looking solder joints.

Cheers

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Addy Bart
Have you wired up the footswitch correctly?

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
I think so, i've tried to get a photo here, not that it's very clear. I checked it several times and I followed the offboard wiring from tagboard.

The white/green wires go to the input jack, middle green wire goes to level 3, brown to the LED/resistor/power jack, two black grounds to level 1 and the output jack ground, grey to the output jack, and blue to the output on the board.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Beaker
Looks like you have confused the mode switch, which should be a mini-toggle switch for the on/off stomp switch!

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
Ah I see, so how should I have wired that? I do have a mini toggle as well, wired to the white mode sw1/sw2/sw3 holes on the board. There's another dodgy photo here! But I can't work out how to rewire them.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Beaker
Ah, my bad, that looks ok.

You've chosen one of the most troublesome builds going here - this circuit has a high failure rate. Go through every component and check it's value, position and orientation carefully.

You have a lot of bare wire showing, so make sure you have not got any short circuits.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Addy Bart
Looks like every component is oriented correctly but double check the pin out on the 2n2646.

The cuts and links are in the right places but knife those gaps again.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
Thanks Beaker and Addy, glad to hear i've at least got everything in the right way! I've checked several times and can't see any short circuits. I'll have another go at scoring the tracks again, and if that doesn't work, start testing every component. I have Motorola 2n2646s, and i've tried multiple orientations for that, so i'm fairly sure it's something else going wrong.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Marbles
Just to make sure.. On your pic of the switch, are you sure the wires from those lugs aren't touching eachother?

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
Thanks for the suggestion Marbles, i've checked a few times though and they don't seem to be.

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Addy Bart
You haven't tied lugs 2 and 3 together on the depth pot have you? (Kind of looks like it on the photo).

Re: EQD Hummingbird

Backstreets13
Afraid not, did that with 1 and 2 on the rate pot.