EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

analog_memories
First post to debugging.  Be gentle please. :)

I built a EQD Sea Machine via the layout for the Madbeans Gravity Wave using the schematic from Alex Madbeans Gravity Wave.

Here is a picture of what I have done:
image1.JPG

So, in bypass I get a good clean signal, but when engaged I get nothing.  I did all the normal troubleshooting and did find a couple of caps and one resistor that were the wrong value.  Changed them out and still, nothing.

I checked to see if I am getting voltage out of all the chips and I believe they are correct.  Any help you guys can lend me would be greatly appreciated.

IC 1 - TL072
Pin 1 - 1.42v
Pin 2 - 1.42
Pin 3 - 1.38
Pin 4 - 0
Pin 5 - 1.26
Pin 6 - 1.38
Pin 7 - 1.39
Pin 8 - 9.08

IC 2 - PT2399
Pin 1 - 5.04
Pin 2 - 2.52
Pin 3 - 0
Pin 4 - 0
Pin 5 - 2.66
Pin 6 - 2.45
Pin 7 - 3.94
Pin 8 - 3.93
Pin 9 - 2.52
Pin 10 - 2.52
Pin 11 - 2.52
Pin 12 - 2.49
Pin 13 - 2.52
Pin 14 - 2.52
Pin 15 - 2.52
Pin 16 - 2.52

IC 3 - LM324
Pin 1 - Variable
Pin 2 - 4.47
Pin 3 - Variable
Pin 4 - 9.08
Pin 5 - 0
Pin 6 - 0
Pin 7 - 0
Pin 8 - 0
Pin 9 - Variable
Pin 10 - 4.51
pin 11 - 0
Pin 12 - 4.52
Pin 13 - 4.54
Pin 14 - Variable

IC 4 - TL072
Pin 1 - 1.44
Pin 2 - 1.41
Pin 3 - 1.42
Pin 4 - 0
Pin 5 - 1.42
Pin 6 - 1.43
Pin 7 - 1.43
Pin 8 - 9.08

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

induction
Your biasing is messed up. Check the jumper connected to pin 3 of the upper TL072 or the two 10k resistors just below the same TL072. If you don't spot the error, post pictures.

Based on your voltages, even if you do find a problem in that area, it might not be the only one. So if you do fix something and it still doesn't work, remeasure your voltages to see if anything changed.

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

analog_memories
Found a spot that was supposed to be cut and wasn't all the way.  However, still no sound.  I can hear oscillation noise when I turn the pots.

Here are the new readings from IC 1

1 - 8.53
2 - 8.53
3 - .14
4 - 0
5 - 6.9
6 - 7.44
7 - 7.47
8 - 9.08

IC 2 - PT2399

1 - 5.04
2 - 2.52
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 2.82
6 - 2.49
7 - 3.96
8 - 3.99
9 - 2.57
10 - 2.56
11 - 2.56
12 - 2.56
13 - 2.57
14 - 2.58
15 - 2.60
16 - 2.57

IC3 - LM324

1 - variable
2 - 4.48
3 - variable
4 - 9.08
5 - 0
6 - 0
7 - 0
8 - 0
9 - variable (4.8 to 5.3)
10 - 4.50
11 - 0
12 - 4.52
13 - 4.56
14 - variable (3 to 5)

IC4  - TL072

1 - 8.45
2 - 8.15
3 - 8.53
4 - 0
5 - 8.53
6 - 8.47
7 - 8.50
8 - 9.08

Also, the rate LED is/has not been working.

Attached are pictures of the board.

image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG
image6.JPG

Let me know if you need more detailed pictures.

Thanks again!

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

analog_memories
I found a fault with my wiring of the pots to the board.  I had the Dim and Shape switched around.  I found that I am not getting voltage to pin 8 on the IC3 and not getting any voltage on pins 5 and 7 as well.

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

analog_memories
OK, here is what I have found so far.  I still need more help, I can't see where the problem is.  My earlier post has pictures of the board.

Still no sound when engaged.

IC3 LM324 pin 5, 6, 7, seem really low. I would expect higher since the output of pin 7 is to drive the Rate LED, and .59 volts is just not going to work.  here is the new updated voltage readings:

IC1 TL072

1 - 8.53
2 - 8.53
3 - .14
4 - 0
5 - 6.9
6 - 7.44
7 - 7.47
8 - 9.08

IC 2 - PT2399

1 - 5.97
2 - 2.99
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 3.41
6 - 2.94
7 - .77
8 - .78
9 - 2.99
10 - 2.99
11 - 2.99
12 - 2.99
13 - 2.99
14 - 2.99
15 - 2.99
16 - 2.99

IC3 - LM324

1 - 4.53
2 - 4.48
3 - 4.59
4 - 9.08
5 - .56
6 - .59
7 - .59
8 - .59
9 - 6.54
10 - 4.52
11 - 0
12 - 4.52
13 - 4.56
14 - 4.60

IC4  - TL072

1 - 8.45
2 - 8.15
3 - 8.53
4 - 0
5 - 8.53
6 - 8.47
7 - 8.50
8 - 9.08

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

induction
Sorry I missed the picture in your first post.

The 10k just south of pin 5 of the top TL072 is connected one row south of where it should be. Fix that, test, measure voltages again.

Re: EQD Sea Machine - No sound when engaged.

analog_memories
Thanks for pointing that out induction.  I have been staring at this board for week.  I got that fixed and I have sound when engaged.  I am getting 4.4v on pin5, 6, 7, and 8 on IC3.  I had the LED wired backwards, but now that is working.

The pedal is a bit noisy, but for what I am doing, it will work just fine for now.  I will work out the mods later .

Thanks induction for you help!