EZScreenPrint

jondog
Came across ths and thought it would be perfect for DIY screen printing on pedal enclosures.
http://ezscreenprint.com/EZScreenPrintMiniKitStandard.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8V_ePdXtk

Re: EZScreenPrint

I actually have this, and had it for over a year.

I haven't had time to use it yet, but it should be great for doing. Simple screenprinted image and text. You have to remember that in order to set the screen you need sunlight, and decent temp for it to set right. I also haven't used it cause. I figure it will be easier to print out 4 pedal screens at once on an 8.5" x 11" peice instead of doing one at a time.

They shipped fast, were super nice and helpful, and the price is good. I also bought ink form them that should hold up to being stepped on, and should take a clear nicely.

Re: EZScreenPrint

Heath
Heh, man, I was all ready to click "Add to Cart" until I started adding up ink costs, stencils, and transparencies.  Considering I'd probably only use a given stencil once or twice, that gets expensive!

For people making pedals for sale, this would probably be a little more economical.

Re: EZScreenPrint

jondog
I wouldn't use their ink. I imagine you can use paint from a craft store like you would for any other screen printing applications. For $30 on 4  pedals to me thats not alot if it works good.

Re: EZScreenPrint

Their ink inst expensive. I got black and white and I think it was $16 for the two. I can check the reciept. If you just get the kit and two inks and you're good to go, and it's like $60.

You don't want to use paint because it will clog the screens. Screen printing inks are special.

Re: EZScreenPrint

Heath
Heh, what can I say?  I'm a cheap bastard.

I just disposed of about 12 old circuits I never got working right (which I'm no longer infatuated with) and salvaged/de-soldered everything except the resistors and vero :D  Ended up with a huge pile of ICs, Transistors, caps, pots, and even some sockets (can never have too many 8 pins).  It was like getting a (not quite) new Tayda order in!

Re: EZScreenPrint

That kit doesn't look good at all

You wouldn't pay much more (probably less) if you go to a printing store and buy a small screen and some hinge clamps to build a jig that would allow for easier/totally reusable/better quality printing. Really you'd save money in the long run because you can wash out the emulsion and reuse the screens plus you don't have to try and print with that silly sheet..

The thing is, there are more chemicals that you'll need than meets the eye. If you buy an ink, you need to buy a solvent to clean that ink. You need emulsion, the solvent to remove the emulsion, and degreaser as well. Most of the inks that you'd wanna use for durability aren't water soluble and need to be "baked" on in order to cure.

An exposure unit and pressure washer booth will make your whole experience much happier, but isn't totally necessary.

Also remember that some of these chemicals are super flamable. If you use a rag with a solvent to clean something up, you need to throw it in a proper fire safe bin so you don't burn your house down.

In the end, my suggestion is build a simple jig for whatever enclosure sizes you want to print on, buy a few small screens, and take a screenprinting class at a community college. They will have everything you need there and you'll learn some important tricks that will help you a lot

Re: EZScreenPrint

jondog
I'm not going to school to paint pedal enclosure's. Says they're reuseable. Video I watched the guy had a very detailed image and it came out very clear. Says it works on metal. Hand drawing and making a silkscreen image isn't easy for fine detail work.

Re: EZScreenPrint

Whether it works on metal or not depends on the ink. The kit is irrelevant in this regard because it doesn't seem to include any ink. You could reuse this to print the same image multiple times, but with a screen you can wash out the emulsion and redo it with a new image countless times

Mainly that thing is just going to be super annoying to use compared to a half decent jig. Also not really saving money for that sacrifice

Re: EZScreenPrint