Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

pyreweb
Hello

I am currently very much in love with the sound/idea of the Earthquaker Devices Afterneath pedal. It's an other-worldly reverb/delay effect.

The only comparable effects I've heard are the Mr Black Supermoon and the Black Hole patch on the Eventide Space. I am aware that both of those are DSP-based and therefore all but impossible to clone. Does anyone have any idea about the insides of the Afterneath? No sign of a schematic or inside photo anywhere. I'd just like to know if building one is possible, as they're quite expensive new. Especially if you want two, for stereo.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

Alex
Here is an inside picture:
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/ninevolt/cabinet/kihon4/imgrc0065709954.jpg
It has one of those Spin Semi FV-1 chips and it's not doable on vero.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

pyreweb
Thank you, I had not managed to find an inside picture, that's very helpful.

Sorry, I am very new to this, would you mind explaining why it can't be done on vero please? Is it that the layout is too complex, or the chip legs being too close together, or something to do with programming it?

Thank you, and sorry for the stupid question.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

Beaker
No such thing as a stupid question, so ask away! It's a combination of everything you have mentioned really.

#1, It's a surface mount chip, with only about a half millimetre gap between each leg. You would need to get some fabrication house to make you an Arduino style adapter board to convert it to veroboard size spacing.

#2. Unless you are an uber-ninja-soldering-god, you would really struggle to solder the thing to the adapter board.

#3. Which means you would have to pay a factory to solder them to your adapter board for you.

#4. And there is no published schematic, so we don't know how everything is connected. The veroboard would end up being absolutely huge though.

#5. We don't know what program that Earthquaker have used on it - I doubt that it is one of the installed programs, and they sure as hell are not going to tell anyone.

#6. Finally, even if you can find out the program code, you will need to buy a developement board, to program it yourself - moe expense, time and expertise.

If you really want one, $225 does not seem too bad to me!

Re: Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

pyreweb
Thank you, that explains everything very clearly, and does so in a way that highlights the problems without daring me to try it and see. There is a risk that I might have done so otherwise, and wasted a great deal of time and money, because I would not have been able to overcome many of the obstacles mentioned, let alone all of them.

$225 is not so bad, but in the UK they are a bit more expensive (the equivalent of $278), and even then the effect is mono-only, while I was hoping to have two running side by side. Although, even two together would still be less expensive than the Eventide Space. But for now, I really do not want one that much.

Thank you very much for your help with this.