Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
Manfred posted a schem of the most recent version of the Crimson Drive with an additional tone control and a NPN germanium transistor. SCHEMATIC

'

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob

balazs.bencs
I might give this a try, but the previous version had an annoying static noise, which I could not get rid of, let me know if it happens with this version too.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob

anders
it is now verified and sounds pretty darn good, especially with a strat. I used a MP38A for the Ge transistor and a couple of SFD112 for the Ge diodes.
This is basically a Rangmaster with the boost above full tilt sandwiched between a J Fet input buffer, clipping diodes and a simple (and subtle) treble cut tone control.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

andrea83
I built it and it works like a charm! Very nice sound! I tried it with a oc141 and 1n34a.
Not much volume. How can I increase it? Thank you

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

anders
Hmm, I don't know, have you meassured gain and leakage of the OC141?

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

andrea83
changed transistor. now it works a lot better! thank you

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

anders
Right on!Sounds great doesn't it?

Re: Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive 3 knob - Verified

andrea83
Sounds more than great!  thanks!