Ebay seller

KT

Ebay seller

KT
Hi,

I've bought already a lot of stuff from ebay. This week it was the first time I placed a bid (instead of direct buying) and I won the auction. 10 trannies. Shipping mentioned UPS Ground US $9,95. I'm from europe so it's probably stupid that I placed the bid. Anyhow, I got a new email with new shipping cost: Standard Int'l Shipping $145,00. CAN THEY DO THIS? I asked them to cancel the whole transaction but I didn't get a reply yet. What should I do?

Re: Ebay seller

mizzion
you should mutually be able to agree to cancel the transaction, what postage cost is on the listing?

Re: Ebay seller

Holy shit KT!

So they listed $9.95 UPS ground as the shipping cost?  That must be for US sales only.

Unfortunately there are some sellers - businesses as well as private individuals, who charge totally ridiculous amounts for postage, and the simple answer is yes, they can do this. Like it or not, legally they are doing nothing wrong.

BE POLITE, contact them and gently ask for a cancellation on the grounds of you not realising that their international postage costs were so high, as the postage costs for international delivery were not clearly displayed.

Let them reply - hopefully they will cancel the sale and all will be ok.

If they refuse, contact eBay IMMEDIATELY and ask them to resolve the matter. Send them all the details, and all communication between you and the seller. These days they are a lot better at sorting out things like this than they used to be.

I hope this helps, and that everything will work out ok.

Re: Ebay seller

Holy shot is an understatement. If you want them and they won't budge or anything if you need have them sent to me and I'll send them out to you. That's utter crap and highway robbery.
KT

Re: Ebay seller

KT
Thanks a lot everybody for the quick response. I answered relatively friendly to him, maybe I should send another even more friendly request to be sure. If I doesn't cancel it i'll let you know rocket and then I will let them ship to you. thanks a lot. I should be more careful in the future :)

Re: Ebay seller

Hey man. Anything to help. I've been thinking what they could do to have it cost nearly $150 for shipping and here's what I came up with. Rhys must package the transistors in gold coated bubblewrap, which is then put in a platinum plates envelope. This is then being sent to you via a European swallow, that will fly non-stop to your door to personally deliver it, and have you sign for it before flying back to the sender.

Re: Ebay seller

Jopn
rocket88 wrote
...This is then being sent to you via a European swallow, that will fly non-stop to your door to personally deliver it, and have you sign for it before flying back to the sender.
Correction: International orders require an African swallow since they have a larger wingspan.
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: Ebay seller

Beaker
But African swallows are non-migratory.

Re: Ebay seller

Re: Ebay seller

dbat69
At that price, it is more likely Golden Eagles flying it out

It is always best to check the postage - even Ebay's calculator gets it wrong, so don't always trust it.
I got some diodes from Germany, the calculator said shipping to UK was about £4, but then the seller came back and said that that was only for post in Germany, it would cost me £15.  I wasn't too worried as I had made a very good purchase, but it just shows that the Ebay calculator can be wrong.

Re: Ebay seller

JaviCAP
Administrator
It depends on how it appears when you see it on eBay. I purchased time ago a Bespecco VM18L volume pedal to a german seller pretty cheap. It clearly stated €6.95 shipping cost to Europe.

After I won and paid the full price including s&h, the seller answered that he was wrong, and shippin' to Spain was €18, that he was sorry and that he had no problem to cancel the auction.

I answered that it was his problem, and that the bid clearly stated the s&h costs to Europe, so he better send the pedal or would be reported to eBay and get a nice and red feedback.

He grumbled a bit, but finally sent the pedal. I'm  afraid that he expected to get a higher winning bid (it was something like 6 euros finally) and tried not to sell it.

So, if you did see that the s&h was 9,95 on the auction, and he doesn't answer or refuse to cancel the operation report him to eBay and leave negative feedback. Many sellers think things twice when they see a negative vote.

J.
KT

Re: Ebay seller

KT
I'm trying to contact ebay via  Resolution Center but I always end up in a window where they let me contact the seller. The seller still hasn't replied so I want to contact ebay. I could call but I rather want to avoid that for now.

Re: Ebay seller

Beaker
If it won't let let you open a dispute with the resolution centre, give eBay a phone call. I would.

Re: Ebay seller

Agreed. Give them a call and they will walk you through whatever the problem is and help you open up a dispute.
KT

Re: Ebay seller

KT
They answered and cancelled it. so everything worked out fine :)
thanks for the tips everybody!

Re: Ebay seller

motterpaul
From what I hear on all the notorious sellers on TGP - both Ebay and PayPal have gone way overboard (in their view, and possibly correctly) in protecting the seller. Basically, if you are unhappy even after you receive the item you can STILL cancel your PayPal payment. I know it sounds crazy but this is what I am hearing.

I guess it makes more sense to protect the buyers because too many unscrupulous sellers on Ebay would ruin it. And I tend to think there would be fewer unscrupulous buyers than sellers. But bottom line, with eBay and PayPal the buyer seems to be pretty well protected all the time.