Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Traverse
This post was updated on .
Hi!

I edit my first post, it was not clear.

I get some trouble with my echo bender.
I've used the layout from here.

I get some kind of scratchy or white noise on the feedback pot when i turn it, the dry pot do the same.
I made a short video to show you what I am not good to explain in English.

>>> it is here <<<

If someone who build one can tell me if my echo-bender work how it should
I have interrogation about the FEEDBACK pot alone, and with the DELAY pot.

If anyone have a clue to solve the problem of the scrachy noise when I turn the pot it would be wonderfu!

I have to admit that I am lost. Is it a damaged component, bad soldering, bad wiring???

I have not measure voltage on ICs yet, I have to found a multimeter. As soon as I meausre voltage on IC I post them here.

Some pictures of the circuit :

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Addy Bart
This post was updated on .
Whilst you wait for the multimeter to arrive, run a knife along the gaps between the rows. It could be a bad pot but it's probably a short somewhere, perhaps a little solder bridge or a cut that isn't fully complete. I'd focus first on the rows connected to the feedback pot.

Once you have a multimeter, double check your cuts and links are all correct using the continuity setting, and yes, post your voltages from the ICs.

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

eve-the-frog
This post was updated on .
I've built it and it seems to work as mine.

I'm a noob but the scratchy sound of the pots is a common "cheap pot" issue IMO.
Or maybe you kept your soldering iron a bit too long in contact with the pot legs and damaged the carbon track...

(are you french ? If you are we can speak of it on yutube, in the comments of your video... If you want)

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Traverse
Hi everyone! Sorry I could not answer before, I have been away for a wild, and waiting for a multimeter.

Now I'am back and I have a multimeter.

I still have to test the continuity but here are m'y voltage for the IC.

Tl072 :

5,06 (1)---(8) 8,95
4,47 (2)---(7) 4,58
433 (3)---(6) 4,47
0,00 (4)---(5) 4,47

Pt 2399 :

5,06 (1)---(16) 2,53
2,53 (2)---(15) 2,53
0,00 (3)---(14) 2,53
0,00 (4)---(13) 2,53
2,64 (5)---(12) 2,53
2,34 (6)---(11) 2,53
0,74 (7)---(10) 2,53
0,75 (8)---(9) 2,53

I mesure them without running an audio signal trought it I did not know if I had to.  All knobs were at zero.

For eve the frog : I also think about over heating the pot when wiring or bad pot. I will desolder them ans test them.
And yes I'am french so we can talk in the comments of my youtube video.

Thank's guys.

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Traverse
Pots seems ok when I test them without multimeter. Is there a way to test them to know if they are noisy?
Shall I solder them in an other circuit to know if they are noisy?

I am wondering if m'y issue can come frome rust/corosion on strips?

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Addy Bart
Your voltages look ok to me. I haven't built the Echobender but it's similar enough to the De Profundis for me to think the problem lies elsewhere. Do you not have some spare pots lying around?

I would first go over the board with the continuity setting on your meter, making sure all the cuts are complete and in the correct places. Then change the pot(s) you suspect could be bad.

Re: Echo bender noise from feedback and dry pots (edit)

Traverse
This post was updated on .
Thank you Addy Bart for your advice.
I will try to change pots to see if they work.