Electronic 3 Band EQ

PStevenson

this isn't a typical 3 band EQ like you would see in most guitar stuff - this uses electronic
attenuators to give a brutal cut-off at -96dB
it's almost like a filter anyway - hope you like it.

http://www.paulinthelab.com/2014/12/electronic-3-band-equaliser-stripboard.html
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

Very nice Paul, thanks for the link

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

cylens
this sounds really interesting Paul... I have zero understanding of the circuit, though...

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

PStevenson
well, a typical EQ found in most 3 band EQ setups has an opamp - a few T-filters and another op-amp to buffer the output signal - at best you get +/- 20dB cut/boost which can be barely noticeable in a pedal chain

however this circuit uses attenuators that I've set to cut/boost the 3 typical EQ bands at a more respectable -96dB/+20dB - simply put - you'll bloody notice it.

it's also wired in parallel so if you didn't want 1 of the EQ bands affecting - just leave out the parts on that band
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

PStevenson
no worries dude
obviously it helps me out a bit when I post it on here !
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

They're always welcome mate

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

Chris60601
Indeed!
Paul has an excellent site! Love going there and finding interesting ideas
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

Agreed. Ive been looking at this circuit, and think it might be a great addition the tiny amps we've got like the ruby tubey, and the tiny giant amp. This way you get a small amp with tone shaping. The question is should the EQ be placed in front of the amp or after. Now only if I can figure out how to get it into a single 125b enclosure, I know there's no way I can get it all in a 1590b unless you mount stuff on top like the zvex nano amp.

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

PStevenson
well ideally you would want to place it between the preamp and the power amp (that's what I designed it for) - if you were doing it on the ruby like on my layout for example http://www.paulinthelab.com/2014/07/ruby-amplifier-stripboard-layout.html

you would wire the EQs input to to VR1-2 (the actual pot) and the EQs output to where it says VR1-2 on the stripboard

or if you were to use my "Sparky" amp http://www.paulinthelab.com/2013/02/sparky-5-watt-amplifier-stripboard.html

pretty much the same - the EQs input to lug 2 of the pot and the output to where it says VR2 on the board

and again if you were to use my "tonesucker" amp http://www.paulinthelab.com/2012/05/tda2030-based-amplifier-veroboard.html

same deal - after the pot > EQ > into the board
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

PStevenson
thanks Chris!
it's been a bit slow of late due to family matters, moving house and big projects that didn't involve stripboard
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Electronic 3 Band EQ

Chris60601
Understood!
I especially enjoyed the story of the anti-theft device (board n nails) in your shed.
Priceless!

Cheers
Chris