Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

GuitarGas
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/dunlop-jbf-3-joe-bonamassa-fuzz-face.html
Hi Guys,
I'm wanting to build the JB fuzz and can't seem to find the two transistors on either ebay or Tayda.
Can anyone suggest an equivalent that could be easily purchased from either source?
Thanks

Re: Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

You could use any Ge PNP transistors that you'd use for a fuzz face.

I'm not sure how you're not finding them on eBay... Type in either part number and there are tons of them.

Re: Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

while i haven't built this i can tell you from experience that the MP39B are very low gain, i think the highest ones i have are in the high 40's to low 50's for hfe reading, and the GT308B are also lower gain then the GT308V's that a lot of us try to stock up on. the JB FuzzFace is going to sound more overdrivey, as it uses lower gain Germanium transistors.

BTW,

GT308B

MP39B

i've bough from this seller a lot, and have gotten nothing but quality transistors. just send them an email, and they will lower the shipping and should give you a better deal.

Re: Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

GuitarGas
Thanks guys,
I might put this build on hold for now then.
Thanks for the links Rocket, I seriously couldn't find any on my searches.
If these are such low gain Transistors what other builds would they be good for?
And what other Fuzz would you recommend that would use more common value Tranies that could be used in other builds?
cheers

Re: Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

there are lots of Ge pedals that can use low gain transistors, like the fuzzrite, and you can also use them in Ge buffers. also, you need remember that these russian Ge's don't seem to play by the same rules as their US and EU counterparts. myself, and lots of guys have made FuzzFaces with russians that had hfe's in the 50's and they rip, mostly due to having great frequency responses.

i wouldn't put this one off just because of the transistors. I would grab just one set of each from those auctions, and sort for the circuit, plus you'll have more for other builds. also, remember that lower gain hfe Ge FuzzFaces will have a more overdrivey open sound to them, while higher gain will typically be more compressed and distorted.

it's not so much more common transistors, its what sounds right. as emperor of the Ge Deathstar, i can tell you that there is no one Ge for as specific build, as each model adds its own bit of character to it. take a look at the thread i started pinned towards the top about Ge's. a bunch of us have been trying to keep a record of tonal characteristics, hfe readings, etc.

but, my top suggestions for general russian ones to have are:
PNP
MP20A
1T308V-GT308V military version
MP16B

NPN
MP38A

these typically aren't too expensive.

Re: Equivalent Transistors for JB Fuzz

GuitarGas
rocket88 wrote
as emperor of the Ge Deathstar,
lol
Ok mate, you've sold me, I have sent a msg to the auction asking for combined postage.
Thanks for your help!