Escobedo Ugly Face with LFO verified!

Synsound
I could swear I found this on Freppo's site but I didn't see it when I went back for the link.  That aside, I just finished building it and it sounds great. Great is a matter of taste. This without a doubt is geared towards those who love noisy fuzz. The selectable envelope/ LFO made this a must have for me and I wasn't disappointed. I used a Tayda LDR and a 3mm clear ultra right blue LED with outstanding results. There are a lot of cool sounds to be had here..

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Escobedo Ugly Face with LFO verified!

Synsound
Thought I would make mention that I finally boxed this and added to my board. After a bit of mucking around I realized that this circuit was to blame for a fair amount of background noise while in bypass.  I imagine this May be similar to the Heliotrope circuit I have read about.
This is really cool sounding but may need more attention paid to the wiring to help minimize this noise. If I come up with a true cure I'll post it. Until then I'm just removing the power when not in use.

Thanks for sharing, and the info

Re: Escobedo Ugly Face with LFO verified!

Synsound
Ok, I have found the fix for the squeal. This one wanted a dedicated power supply. Did that and problem solved.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Escobedo Ugly Face with LFO verified!

Synsound
After some time I have decided to revisit this build. As it turned out the designated power supply did not correct the squeal I was getting. Aparantly I just got lucky as the controls were just right to mask it during bypass.  This discover set me back to having to unplug it unless I planned to use it.

Today I swapped the 3pdt for a 4pdt. I used the added pole to break the 9V supply during bypass. I worried that it might creat switch popping issues but it turned out to be just the thing. I'm pretty sure I mean it this time.
Also, I wasn't completely satisfied with the action of the envelope so I tried various LEDs without improved results. I eventually ran my SHO at full blast into it. It made a huge difference to have the extra push. It was like a whole new effect that I couldn't turn off. I plan to wire the boost into the circuit tomorrow for a permanent improvement. I haven't decided if I'm even going to put a trimmer on the SHO. I think I may just use a jumper to keep it at full tilt.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Escobedo Ugly Face with LFO verified!

SeaWitch
Hey all,

I just wired this build and it sounds pretty great!  Super weird and nasty...however, my sensitivity pot is only working after about 1 o'clock.  Is there something I maybe overlooked, or how can I improve the range on this B1K pot?

Thanks!