Etch me some pcbs for $$$?

hobbyseason
Just curious if anyone here is a) good at etching clean boards and b) willing to do some for me ? Will pay of course.

I want to make some classic old effects on etched boards but my attempts have been just awful.

Im aware i can buy printed boards of most circuits but not really interested.

Im happy to drill the component holes etc.

Thanks folks \m/

Re: Etch me some pcbs for $$$?

Blackboarcult
What exactly went awful when etching your boards?

Maybe some folks here can provide useful tips and methods, this way you can save some pennies, plus you'll get the satisfaction of doing it yourself from A to Z

I started etching before jumping into the vero wagon, and I'm not very fond of the whole transfer/chemical/blahblah process, and my etchings were terrible in the beginning, but I ended up finding some good methods to improve the quality.

Re: Etch me some pcbs for $$$?

balazs.bencs
In my opinion, it's easier to just download Eagle (yes it's free for hobbyists) and learn it how you can design PCB layouts and order from JLCPCB. They'll give you 10 PCBs for 2$ and it's going to be decent quality, you'll be satisfied.

I know that it sounds a bit difficult at first, but it worth the time, plus it's a great skill to have.

Re: Etch me some pcbs for $$$?

hobbyseason
I attempted about 8 boards... used heat transfer method (iron) and i ended with one half usable board that still had some pretty sketchy tracks i needed to bridge with jumpers.

I stupidly bought etchant from a local hobby store which was wayyyy expensive too. Any tips (ebay sellers etc) for etchant / boards much appreciated!

That said ive heard good things about laminators?

Im not at all interested in using eagle and getting printed boards made even though that is clearly the easiest method. I just love a classic old timey etched board.

Re: Etch me some pcbs for $$$?

ibanez48
I know this is a old thread but I started to try etching my own boards. Well long story short I was about to give up on it tried everything. But the easiest I have found print your layout on glossy inkjet paper. Use a iron to transfer on your copper board. First put iron on board and push down hard as u can on it for about a minute. Then start iron it around the edges in the middle keep doing that for about another 3 minutes. After that stop let it cool for about 30 seconds then put it in cool water and start rubbing the paper off with your thumb. This has worked perfect for me the first board I did the paper came off pretty easy. The second board I did it took a little more effort to rub off. I don’t know if it was the difference between copper boards I used they were different brands. So now to the etching part I have read a lot of articles on this. Ok believe it or not the most safest way I have found is use a solution of vinegar/hydrogen peroxide/salt this works perfectly but it takes longer. U will know it’s working u will see the solution starting to turn blue. And u can see the solution bubbling off the board I watched it for about 30 minutes on and off so I went to bed checked it the next morning it was totally etched so I don’t know how long it actually took to etch it. Now I tried the Muratic acid and hydrogen peroxide solution this is the fastest. It took about 45 minutes it was done. Hope this helps out if u want to etch your own boards. Oh I tried the laminator method didn’t work probably because I bought a cheap laminator. But a laminator will work but you will have to spend about 160 dollars on one. Just use a iron works just as good and cheaper.