Etching transfer paper

Since johnk has been posting a lot of etched enclosures I've really gotten the gas to do one or so, just means I need to better plan out my builds so I can etch the enclosure ahead of type and do my usual build, then box same day. So I began looking at the toner transfer method using glossy photo paper instead of the Press n' Peel since it's really expensive. I randomly, came across this which I think might be a cheap and great alternative to using the photo paper since it can get pricey, and some paper doesn't work as well as others.

Not only could this be awesome for etching enclosures, but those effects that are too big to get on vero we can make our own pcb's if desired.

Re: Etching transfer paper

Vince
I used to etch a few PCB's and got better results with glossy magazine paper than I did with gloss photo paper, maybe worth considering...

Re: Etching transfer paper

dexxyy
Same here, I got great results with pages from  the screwfix catalogue, I found it better to tape them to a page of copier paper or they tend to jam in the printer. but any glossy mag paper should do the trick.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Etching transfer paper

Does anyone have a link to some kind of walk-through on this process? I realize everyone has their own method, but this is something I've been interested in for years and would love some information on getting started

Re: Etching transfer paper

By the way Rocket and anyone else who are looking to etch their own PCBs..

When you're cutting and drilling your PCBs please remember that the dust from FR4 boards is very harmful for you to inhale so you need to ventilate your work area and wear a mask

Obviously the etching chemicals require care as well, but I think it's less obvious that the FR4 dust is toxic

Re: Etching transfer paper

I wasn't looking so much to etching pcbs again, but doing some fever etched enclosures. I was just looking at the cheapest and easiest way to do the toner transfer. I'd been planning on doing screen printing on my boards, and have the setup but never managed to take the time to make the screens.

When I've done boards I've used glossy photo paper. the issue with using the same method in an end lists is getting it hot enough to stick right. This is due for the size and material. What can happen is the paper will stick to the enclosure a long with the toner or the toner won't transfer comptelg and be too light. Also, not all photo paper works well, like Polaroid brand Supposidly doesn't work too well. This may be a good, reliable, and cost effect way.

 I've looked into glossy magazines and such, but I seem to get flat and semi-gloss ones now, so that doesn't work out too well.

Like I said, this looked interesting. I'm going to give it a go and report back. Fist got to finish the office so I can solder. Nearly 2 months to get all settled in. I swear I'm never moving again.

Re: Etching transfer paper

dexxyy
The most important part of the prep I found when etching enclosures is to sand the enclosure as flat as you can possibly get it. Trying to iron a transfer onto a surface that isn`t flat will beat you right at the start.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Etching transfer paper

Vince
I etch my enclosures. I use 120 gsm gloss photo paper, 100 A4 sheets for about £6 which will last me for a very long time. A Samsung black and white laser printer. In my experience prep is key, sanding it clean then wiping with acetone to remove any remaining dirt. I did have one sheet that the paper stuck with the toner but I put that down to being a crappy sheet. I have noticed that if you gently peel off the paper while it's still pretty hot you have less chance of the paper sticking. Also working the tip of the iron quite heavily seems to help it stick better,too