Experimental Delay

Kinski
This post was updated on .
I've been trying to improve my layout/schematic skills. Here is a noise/lo-fi delay I saw on DIYSB. Lots of busted sounds come out of this one.

I'm sure I messed something up. And I know a lot of you cry at the sight of standing resistors. SORRY!

Anyone see anything wrong with this layout? I cut the switching and 1n5817 from the layout.

Audio: https://soundcloud.com/knutolai/workshop-ekko

/// UPDATED LAYOUT ///

Re: Experimental Delay

Ciaran Haslett
Layout looks good to go.  Great job!

C17 needs it polarity specified.
The RHS R7 needs renamed R5
R5 needs renamed R6

I actually don't mind standing resistors.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as it works its good.

Re: Experimental Delay

dexxyy
Also 2x c1 and 2x c2,  c1 from pin7 to ground should be c5 and c2 from pin8 to ground should be c6. Might be easier if you display the value rather than name.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Experimental Delay

notnews
just a clerical error, but check the name of the delay IC

Re: Experimental Delay

Kinski
Thanks you all for your help!
The goofy component numbering was because I forgot to rename the default names that are applied.
I updated the layout at the top. Added values as well.

notnews, my IC is labeled correctly. The schematics IC is labeled wrong. There is an extra 9 there.

Thanks again!

Re: Experimental Delay

SonusFluxa
Polarity of the LED needs to be reversed, and then it's verified! Built it last night, and I'm getting all of the sounds present in the demo.

Re: Experimental Delay

Kinski
Great to hear! I'm away for the next week. I'll update the layout when I get back. Thanks for verifying!

I plan on building this when I have the time. What do you think of it?

On Apr 16, 2016, at 10:20 AM, SonusFluxa [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Polarity of the LED needs to be reversed, and then it's verified! Built it last night, and I'm getting all of the sounds present in the demo.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Experimental-Delay-tp27273p29807.html
To unsubscribe from Experimental Delay, click here.
NAML

Re: Experimental Delay

SonusFluxa
I think the textures it creates are cool, similar to the echo bender on a long repeat time. It overtakes the clean signal, which can be good or bad depending on your intended use for it. With the modulation at zero, it's as clean as any other pt2399 delay that I've played (dependent on delay time of course). I think it would be awesome to use with a synth, either melodic or noisy. I'm interested in the other circuit he posted in that thread as well.

Re: Experimental Delay

tabbycat
Kinski wrote
Great to hear! I'm away for the next week. I'll update the layout when I get back. Thanks for verifying!

I plan on building this when I have the time. What do you think of it?
huge thanks for the layout, kinski.

as far as bang for buck this sounds like it may be a peach. demo got me seriously wet. have got the echobender board finished and ready to box but it's one of a heap of biggish builds to be finished that i can't face atm. this might be a nice cheap-and-cheeky way back in. small parts count big sounds. and when i get my bender running it will make an excellent base for modding into if the bender covers all the same ground.

enjoy your hols. well deserved.

SonusFluxa wrote
I think the textures it creates are cool, similar to the echo bender on a long repeat time. It overtakes the clean signal, which can be good or bad depending on your intended use for it. With the modulation at zero, it's as clean as any other pt2399 delay that I've played (dependent on delay time of course). I think it would be awesome to use with a synth, either melodic or noisy. I'm interested in the other circuit he posted in that thread as well.
thanks for the review sonus. the demo won me over within a minute but your mention of the echobender is reassuring that the demo is faithful.
am sure i've heard the name knutolai before in positive contexts. maybe at fsb. definitely on my radar now. one to watch.

Re: Experimental Delay

notnews
So I followed the soundcloud link and saw that Knutolai designed another pedal called the gjengangar:

https://pladaskelektrisk.com/product/gjengangar/

The soundcloud has samples of this effect, it's titled "gate-delay" or something like that... but wow, this pedal sounds great. The link above takes you to his website that shows a few more pedals that he's designed and builds for sale.

The experimental delay of this thread is very cool, and the rest of his effects sound just as great. Definitely check them out. I'd love to be able to build the other circuits he's crafted up.