Experimenting with OCD = weird results?

UnklePhil
Hi there,

I am a beginner.
I have build an OCD clone with slight modifications:

- volume is 100kA
- tone is 10kA
- gain is 1MA
- IC is NE5532P
- no hi/lo switch

Everything else is stock.

Result is interesting: more gain, but the sound is "gated".
Under 50% of Gain, I have to strum hard (harder with low output pickups) to hear the note played, and the sound disappears immediatly in fuzzy mess.

After 50% of Gain, its sounds  good,  but when I let the note ring, after 3 or 4 seconds, it disappears again in the same fuzzy mess.

I am quite satisfied, it sounds funny and unexpected.
But I'd like to understand why it sounds like this.

Does anybody can explain that to me?